Fwd: Bradbury Mountain State Park (30 Mar 2023) 3 Raptors

Derek Lovitch

Mar 30, 2023, 8:23:09 PM3/30/23
to Maine-birds

Bradbury Mountain State Park
Pownal, Maine, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: Mar 30, 2023
SpeciesDay's CountMonth TotalSeason Total
Black Vulture000
Turkey Vulture3240240
Osprey000
Bald Eagle03535
Northern Harrier01414
Sharp-shinned Hawk01616
Cooper's Hawk099
Northern Goshawk000
Red-shouldered Hawk03131
Broad-winged Hawk000
Red-tailed Hawk04747
Rough-legged Hawk000
Golden Eagle000
American Kestrel055
Merlin044
Peregrine Falcon011
Unknown Accipiter011
Unknown Buteo000
Unknown Falcon000
Unknown Eagle000
Unknown Raptor011
Total:3404404

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours
Official CounterZane Baker
Observers: Dick Baker

Visitors:
9 visitors today.

Weather:
I'm glad the sun was shining the entire day, which helped provide enough heat to keep the shivering at bay. Temps hovered just above and below the freezing mark. The wind, it was blowin'. Every once in a while there were a few seconds of calm, then bam! the wind would smack you like getting hit by a queen sized mattress. I somehow avoided any optic or clipboard mishaps. Overall frustrating but at least it wasn't also cloudy and raining.

Raptor Observations:
3 of a kind, read 'em and weep. The bigger birds like TV's and Eagles were having some trouble keeping an even keel. A pair of local Red-tails, with their ability to kite into the wind handled the conditions like a champ.

Non-raptor Observations:
About 70 southbound Common Grackles started the day. I only saw 6 Canada Geese attempting to move inland, slightly north. It was pretty quiet at the summit except for brief appearances by Hawkwatch Junco and an Eastern Phoebe who tested out a few different perches before retreating to shelter.

Predictions:
We should be back to actually hawk counting tomorrow. The forecast looks interesting with some SW winds throughout the morning and maybe shifting slightly S. Increasing clouds during the count period along with a chance of rain developing in the evening might have birds moving out ahead of the next storm system. Temps should be mild in the low 40's.

Report submitted by Jeannette Lovitch (freeport...@yahoo.com)
Bradbury Mountain State Park information may be found at: www.freeportwildbirdsupply.com/bradbury-mountain-hawkwatch
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month Summary]

Janet Galle

Mar 30, 2023, 10:19:20 PM3/30/23
to 'Derek Lovitch' via Maine birds
My gwi email account will become inactive in late April. Please write to me at my new email address: janet...@gmail.com

Your email has been forwarded to that address.