Fwd: Bradbury Mountain State Park (17 May 2022) 19 Raptors

Derek Lovitch

May 17, 2022, 6:21:08 PM5/17/22
to Maine-birds
Bonus time!

Bradbury Mountain State Park
Pownal, Maine, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: May 17, 2022
SpeciesDay's CountMonth TotalSeason Total
Black Vulture001
Turkey Vulture00470
Osprey159287
Bald Eagle11698
Northern Harrier21386
Sharp-shinned Hawk1189671
Cooper's Hawk01256
Northern Goshawk003
Red-shouldered Hawk03123
Broad-winged Hawk114291662
Red-tailed Hawk18141
Rough-legged Hawk000
Golden Eagle000
American Kestrel065305
Merlin13978
Peregrine Falcon036
Unknown Accipiter028
Unknown Buteo016
Unknown Falcon025
Unknown Eagle000
Unknown Raptor11124
Total:198524030

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 4.92 hours
Official CounterZane Baker
Observers: Dave Fensore, Jim Pinfold

Visitors:
A few people were curious as to what we were up to since I didn't have our board up, but since nobody bothers to read the sign it was business as usual answering questions. I think I'm signing off for good this time. GOODNIGHT JOHN BOY!

Weather:
I'm back, sorry. With the weather looking decent part of the crew got back together in search of missing immature birds. It was a beautiful day with temps getting into the low 70's. We a had a few clouds scattered around which helped the spotting. Winds were from an ok direction, W and WSW but man oh man were they gusty. Today was right up there with some of the windiest days we had all season.

Raptor Observations:
Today turned out alright despite the high winds. We were able to spot a few more migrants and the vast majority of them were immature birds. The winds made for good kiting conditions for our local 'tails which were all over the sky today. It was a fun and successful day even though it was for a few hours.

Non-raptor Observations:
Wind kept a lot of birds from singing at the summit. There was more song being heard in the trees below as we left for the day. No new species to report. We did however get another nice show from a pair of Sandhill Cranes which came in from the south and circled long enough to grab a few more photos. Good spot Dave!

Report submitted by Jeannette Lovitch (freeport...@yahoo.com)
Bradbury Mountain State Park information may be found at: www.freeportwildbirdsupply.com/bradbury-mountain-hawkwatch
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month Summary]