Screech-Owl in West Farmington

andrew...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2022, 8:44:56 AM11/21/22
to Maine birds
Just saw on the ME Wildlife FB group that someone in West Farmington had an Eastern Screeh-Owl that flew into their house.  Had photos though they thought it was a barred owl or saw-whet:-)  What a great bird to see in ME.  So rare.  Still looking.  One of the few breeding owls I have yet to see in the state.  I see in the 80's tthat a family of them was seen in Farmington so I guess this is one of the few places they're breeding in ME.  Nice.

Andrew

Linda Scotland

Nov 21, 2022, 6:02:53 PM11/21/22
to andrew...@gmail.com, Maine birds
We have one here in Cape Neddick that’s been calling and calling for the past week. In fact I went out and bought a screech owl house and put it up in hopes that he/she will stay. But, we also have a large, very active population of great horned owls so….
Linda Scotland

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 21, 2022, at 8:45 AM, andrew...@gmail.com <andrew...@gmail.com> wrote:

Just saw on the ME Wildlife FB group that someone in West Farmington had an Eastern Screeh-Owl that flew into their house.  Had photos though they thought it was a barred owl or saw-whet:-)  What a great bird to see in ME.  So rare.  Still looking.  One of the few breeding owls I have yet to see in the state.  I see in the 80's tthat a family of them was seen in Farmington so I guess this is one of the few places they're breeding in ME.  Nice.

Andrew

andrew...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2022, 12:49:25 PM11/22/22
to Maine birds
Yes, they're in that very southern part of Maine, but still pretty rare.  The farther north/east you go in the state the rarer they are.  Evidentily Farmington is one of the few places they've bred in the past.  Hope you get one nesting.  Atleast you have one;-)

Andrew

Colleen McKenna

Nov 22, 2022, 1:18:37 PM11/22/22
to Maine Birds
Scrolling through the many comments on the Facebook post of the screech owl, I found that this happened in Kittery not Farmington

Still very cool!

Here is the post

On Nov 22, 2022, at 12:49 PM, andrew...@gmail.com <andrew...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, they're in that very southern part of Maine, but still pretty rare.  The farther north/east you go in the state the rarer they are.  Evidentily Farmington is one of the few places they've bred in the past.  Hope you get one nesting.  Atleast you have one;-)

andrew...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2022, 8:06:02 PM11/22/22
to Maine birds
Don't know where you got Kittery.  The person said to me it was in West Farmington.

Andrew