Little Egret - Gilsland Farm Bird Walk, 6/23

Doug Hitchcox

Jun 23, 2016, 11:39:01 AM6/23/16
to Bird Alerts
Hello Maine-birders:

It was a beautiful morning for a bird walk! It has been fun to see nesting behavior of our resident birds changing over the past weeks. Of note today were the first fledgling Black-capped Chickadees and Eastern Phoebes staying close to and being fed by their respective adults. In the West Meadow we finally located a cavity being used by Great Crested Flycatchers, likely a second pair for the farm as someone photographed juveniles here a week ago.

The other highlight was of course the LITTLE EGRET. The tide hasn’t been favorable for seeing it on our walks recently, but today’s low and incoming tide was perfect. The egrets typically work their way up river with the incoming tide and eventually up Scitterygusset Creek toward Tidewater Farm where the Little Egret has been so reliable lately. This morning there were two dogs running around on the mud flats at the mouth of Scitterygusset, perhaps keeping the egrets from just flying straight up to Tidewater. The Little Egret eventually flew in, viewed near the blind in the North Meadow, at 9:43AM and counting there until at least 10:00AM.

A complete list of birds seen during the walk is available at: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S30355838

Good birding,

Doug Hitchcox
Staff Naturalist