NORTHERN LAPWING (5!!!) - Hodgdon, 15 Dec

Doug Hitchcox

Dec 15, 2022, 3:46:46 PM12/15/22
to Bird Alerts
Passing along news that Aaron Beechy found five NORTHERN LAPWINGS in a farm field on the north side of Catalina Road in Hodgdon (just south of Houlton, off Route 1). Bill Sheehan was able to get out and photograph them today, and they’ve reportedly be present since Sunday (same day as when the Thomaston lapwing was seen). We’ll see what the incoming storm does, but Bill mentioned they’ve had several inches of snow already since Sunday, so hopefully they’ll linger.

Good birding,

Doug Hitchcox
Maine Bird Atlas - Outreach Coordinator
Maine Audubon - Staff Naturalist
207-781-2330 x237
dhit...@maineaudubon.org

Bill Sheehan

Dec 15, 2022, 7:45:28 PM12/15/22
to Doug Hitchcox, Bird Alerts
Thanks Doug.

I'm very thankful to Aaron (a very skilled local Amish birder) for going out of his way to let me know about these and to meet me on site this afternoon.  The farm is a few miles from his house and not an easy trek for non-mechanized travelers!

I added a few of my famous poor-quality documentation photos to my report in eBird.  The landowner and neighbors are aware of the birds now and also the likelihood that some birders may be on site in the AM.

We stayed on site until dark and the flock settled in behind a knoll in the hayfield and looked like they were there for the night.  Four of the five were doing well but one seemed to be struggling to keep up with the rest of the flock.

FYI- Regarding the impending Snowmageddon....  Snow won't be starting in Houlton until late in the day tomorrow, so they should be on site most of the day tomorrow and conditions for observing them should be OK.  Can't make any promises about your trip home though!   Likewise, we'll have to see how much snow we get to know if they will remain, or move on, over the weekend.

Good luck!

Bill

Bill Sheehan
Woodland, Aroostook Co., Maine
http://northernmainebirds.blogspot.com/

Bill Carpenter

Dec 16, 2022, 2:50:02 PM12/16/22
to Bill Sheehan, Doug Hitchcox, Bird Alerts
Two lapwings present on the Catalina Rd this afternoon. Both quite near the road (N side), so good views.

Bill Carpenter