Knocking call

Sarah Caputo

Jun 19, 2022, 10:57:01 AM6/19/22
to maine...@googlegroups.com
While working on a marshy spot off the golden rd yesterday, I kept hearing a 'knocking' repetitive call coming from the weeds. I thought it might be a marsh bird but going through rails and bittern calls online I can't find a match. It was, of course, silent whenever I tried to get a recording, and then drowned out by the very noisy northern water thrush I was also pursuing.
Any ideas what it could be?

Sarah

Sarah Caputo

Jun 19, 2022, 6:18:23 PM6/19/22
to maine...@googlegroups.com

I am leaning towards a Black billed cuckoo though it did not sound quite like that either, but it seems the most likely.  The yellow rail is intriguing as it did sound somewhat like that but seems unlikely given the range.   Anyway, if anyone is up that way, just below the big eddy campground there is a cut where the power lines go through and then a bog if you go down through the ditch it is quite birdy. And you could upgrade the code on the waterthrush.  Just have to put up with people stopping and asking if you are looking at a moose.

Sarah

On June 19, 2022, at 1:42 PM, Craig Kesselheim <ckess...@gmail.com> wrote:

Any chance it might have been a Black-billed Cuckoo in nearby woods?

I'd love to know if the mystery gets solved!

Craig