Blue Jay migration - I compiled your replies

Craig Kesselheim

May 28, 2023, 5:22:06 AM5/28/23
to Maine Birders Listserv
Hi all - on Sunday, 5/21 I posted the following short note about seeing a migrating band of Blue Jays...
Hi all - At Schoodic Point today I observed a cohesive band of northward-flying Blue Jays, around 27 of them. They stuck together, seemed intent on moving on, and briefly alit in some conifers. Anyone else seen Blue Jay movements like this? If so, I'd appreciate a share.

I got a LOT of replies, and I apologize for not compiling these sooner. (I hope I recaptured every one of these)

  • This spring I've repeatedly seen notably large flocks of migrating jays and at least one other birder I've spoken with has noticed the same.  On Saturday I saw two flocks of about 25 each over the Scarborough River Wildlife Sanctuary. And on a recent day at Biddeford Pool I saw at least 100 jays over a short period of time in several different flocks. I don't recall seeing movements like this before in 15 years of birding in Maine -- Brad
  • There are large movements of Blue Jays this time of year along the south shore of Lake Ontario - they move east to avoid flying over 50 miles of water, and then go up the east shore and cross the St. Lawrence.  (This is what most northbound migrant birds do.)  However, these Blue Jays do not group together, they are a constant but diffuse stream. -- Alicia
  • About two weeks ago, I think, (while we were still in Brunswick) I saw a group of maybe 20 or so, all silent, which surprised me; all moving in the same direction.  I suppose they could be "short-distance migrants," eh? -- Tom
  • My goodness, yes. I’ve seen 30+ doing the same thing multiple times over the last week. By my observation, a lot of blue jays left the state this winter, and they’re wicked late flocking back in. Apparently, chickadees are doing it, too. -- Bob
  • Big flocks here on Monhegan (Island) making feints at group departure, as well. -- Kristen
  • On Monhegan around 9:30am, Friday May 19,  Betsy and I observed a group of 35-40 jays moving northwesterly above the boreal forest north of the village.  Over the next couple or more minutes there were individual jays moving generally in the same direction the group had taken. -- Dave
  • I’ve seen 20-40 Blue Jays migrating together like you’re describing, sticking close to the trees — a few times in spring and also fall. But what really left an impression on me are a couple aggregations I’ve seen at fall hawkwatch sites. Once at Lighthouse Point in early October I saw a flock of maybe 600 highly agitated Blue Jays, with a few Red-winged Blackbirds mixed in, bunched up waiting to cross the falcon-infested airspace over Long Island Sound. The locals said that was not uncommon. Peace & good birding -- Scott
  • I've been noticing the same thing over the past few weeks.  And, we've had the biggest invasion of White-throated Sparrows in our yard that I've ever seen.  It started several weeks ago and ebbed and flowed.  I never made an accurate count, but I estimate about 15 individuals in the yard on multiple occasions.  And then they abruptly disappeared a few days ago.  Haven't seen any since. -- Wally
  • At Schoodic on Saturday, blue jay flocks of 40, 17, 13, 8 and stragglers by 1 or 2s. All during the morning from 6:15 to 9:30. Also had a single flock of 65 fly over downtown Belfast a couple of days ago. -- Seth
  • I do believe it was Don Mairs that told me of large flocks of dozens of Blue Jays in the the spring. It was many years later but I finally saw the BLJAs streaming by while banding birds at Riverpoint Conservation Area 2010s. Since then I’ve seen a few more, while driving. Better seen while standing. I think Ed Jenkins has seen the flocks at Riverpoint as well. I don’t remember if Don gave the reason for why BLJAs do this, and I’m still wondering. - Rob
  • When I lived in northeast Ohio, it was a regular sight on spring migration to watch a steady stream of Blue Jays heading east along the shore of Lake Erie. Clearly, they would rather fly around than over the Great Lakes. The count for a morning would often easily be measured in hundreds. With Blue Jays, "flock" hardly seems to be the correct term since they advance like an infantry unit in a string most of the time. I noticed Blue Jay movement here in Waterville a couple of weeks ago, but haven't really seen it since. -- Ian
  • My expert at Derby Hill Hawk watch on L. Ontario, says they do fly in flocks there, also with stragglers. I had not noticed that in my years there. Barbara
  • Yes quite often over the years. Noticeable not necessarily because of the size of flocks but because of the behavior, direct flights above treetops which implies migration. I’ve often wondered if they migrate at night as well. -- Robert
  • When I was an active bander I banded a Blue Jay in Sorrento (Maine) that hit a window in Foxboro, Mass 48 hours later. -- Bill

Many thanks to all of you for these affirmations and interesting details.

=========
For what it's worth, Birds of the World has this:

Spring

Migration across range is concentrated in late Apr-late May. Rarely, flights reported in Jun and early Jul.

Migration is much less conspicuous in spring than fall in Florida, with jays observed moving north numbering in the tens from late Mar through Apr. In Arkansas, occurs from mid-Mar through mid-May, with a peak in the second half of Apr. Spring flocks usually <30 birds, although >1,000/h were counted on 23 Apr 1960. In Missouri, movements most conspicuous from mid-Apr to late May, with peak during the last week of Apr and first week of May, when several hundred may be seen in a day.

In Illinois, spring migration is less tied to physiographic features such as rivers than is fall migration, and jays are more common in upland forests than in flood plain forests in the Upper Mississippi River. Early and late dates from Illinois are 14 Mar and 26 May, respectively. High counts of up to 800/h fall from 18 Apr to 2 May in the southern two-thirds of the state, and from 1 to 21 May in the north.

In Ohio, migratory movements are more conspicuous in spring than fall, but this effect is in large part the result of migration along Lake Erie. Flocks of 5-30 individuals are most common in interior counties, but along the lake counts of 200-700/h is typical, with flights of 1,000-2,000/h and estimates of 5,000-10,000/d recorded. Migration begins 15-22 Apr and continues through 3-10 Jun . Blue Jays migrate north across Lake Superior into s. Ontario.

In Maryland, earliest arrival was 14 Apr, migration peak 21 Apr to 6 May, and latest departure 18 May. At Cape May, NJ, migration is much less spectacular in spring than in fall, with maxima around 100/d. Migration there is also considerably later than in the central U.S., with numbers peaking in late May and early Jun, and some apparent migratory flights observed in late Jun and early Jul. Spring migration is concentrated in May in Massachusetts, with daily counts reaching 300-500 not uncommon. Maximum count of 1,500 in 1 h on 22 May 1980; 300 counted on 1 Jun 1958.

===========
There is also a helpful summary of Blue Jay migration in Maine with interesting historical specifics in Birds of Maine (Vickery et al), p. 408, for anyone who wants to start their day by weight-lifting this amazing and hefty reference!

Best,
Craig K
SW Harbor

Tammy Packie

May 28, 2023, 1:13:31 PM5/28/23
to Craig Kesselheim, Maine Birders Listserv
Thanks for the update! Tammy

Tammy Packie

May 28, 2023, 6:15:26 PM5/28/23
to Craig Kesselheim, Maine Birds
The NRCM had a piece about blue jay migration on their FB page recently. Tammy