Exeter, NH wastewater plant CLOSED TO BIRDERS

Steve Mirick

Nov 7, 2022, 3:40:13 PM11/7/22
to Maine Birds, Massbird Massbird
I'm sorry to report this bad news, but the Exeter WTP is now closed to birds for an indefinite period.  It is NOT due to any specific bad behavior of birders.

Here is an email from Becky Suomala:

I received an email from the Manager of the Exeter Wastewater Treatment Plant. The plant is CLOSED to the public and the birdwatching community for the foreseeable future due to concerns expressed by the NH Department of Labor during an inspection today. This is very sad news.

I talked to the Manager and he was very nice and extremely understanding. He is well aware of the significance of the Plant to birders and very supportive but at the moment he has no choice. I have asked him to let me know if there is anything we can do.

Please respect this closure. The Plant is under a lot of pressure to comply and has no flexibility at the present time.

They will put up signs but anything you can do to help spread the word would be helpful.

Thank you!

Becky Suomala

rsuo...@nhaudubon.org

andrew...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2022, 11:33:46 AM11/8/22
to Maine birds
A shame.  But can't birds be viewed from outside along fences?  Most of these plants have fences you can view from without going onto the premises.

Andrew