Fwd: Bradbury Mountain State Park (23 Mar 2023) Raptors

Derek Lovitch

Mar 23, 2023, 5:41:59 PM3/23/23
to Maine-birds

Bradbury Mountain State Park
Pownal, Maine, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: Mar 23, 2023
SpeciesDay's CountMonth TotalSeason Total
Black Vulture000
Turkey Vulture09797
Osprey000
Bald Eagle02727
Northern Harrier066
Sharp-shinned Hawk099
Cooper's Hawk066
Northern Goshawk000
Red-shouldered Hawk02626
Broad-winged Hawk000
Red-tailed Hawk02929
Rough-legged Hawk000
Golden Eagle000
American Kestrel022
Merlin000
Peregrine Falcon000
Unknown Accipiter011
Unknown Buteo000
Unknown Falcon000
Unknown Eagle000
Unknown Raptor000
Total:0203203

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 11:00:00
Total observation time: 3 hours
Official CounterZane Baker
Observers: Biz Houghton

Visitors:
I did see a couple people at the summit but nobody seemed to want to say hi.

Weather:
It was a little cold and damp but the rain held off for the morning hours. A low cloud ceiling and lingering fog greatly diminished our visibility. I could just make out the contours of the land to about 4 miles but there was very little contrast between sky and earth. Wind was non existent which was nice and the temps were a cool 35 degrees Fahrenheit. By high noon the fog had crept close enough to the mountain that I could no longer see the large red barn to our south .75 miles away. I packed up on the hour and head down.

Raptor Observations:
1 Eagle slowly plodded by the summit in powered flight just below the level we were standing.

Non-raptor Observations:
The woods became silent shortly after arriving today. One potential Common Goldeneye passed by in the fog vocalizing twice. I couldn't see it to confirm but with the help of Derek the circumstantial evidence suggested Goldeneye. Two first of the season Tree Swallows were spotted, heading south.

Predictions:
Tomorrow doesn't look terrible. We should hopefully see a little sun at some point as clouds start to move out. Temps should be rather warm, in the upper 40's. The predicted wind direction isn't bad, from the NW, but there could be some stronger gusts on top of a 10-12mph breeze.

Report submitted by Jeannette Lovitch (freeport...@yahoo.com)
Bradbury Mountain State Park information may be found at: www.freeportwildbirdsupply.com/bradbury-mountain-hawkwatch
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month Summary]