Fw: Bradbury Mountain State Park (13 May 2023) 4 Raptors

Derek and Jeannette Lovitch

May 13, 2023, 6:57:11 PM5/13/23
to Maine-birds

Bradbury Mountain State Park
Pownal, Maine, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: May 13, 2023
SpeciesDay's CountMonth TotalSeason Total
Black Vulture002
Turkey Vulture00500
Osprey026277
Bald Eagle11669
Northern Harrier0682
Sharp-shinned Hawk072383
Cooper's Hawk1638
Northern Goshawk002
Red-shouldered Hawk0454
Broad-winged Hawk01292016
Red-tailed Hawk01076
Rough-legged Hawk000
Golden Eagle011
American Kestrel218269
Merlin01567
Peregrine Falcon004
Unknown Accipiter018
Unknown Buteo034
Unknown Falcon004
Unknown Eagle000
Unknown Raptor0521
Total:43123877

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours
Official CounterZane Baker
Observers: Biz Houghton, Dick Baker, Jen Baker, Nate Johnson

Visitors:
26 Visitors stopped by today, along with a fitting and unexpected playing of Bob Seger's Against The Wind.

Weather:
Another nice sunny day with barely any clouds. Temps got just into the 70's. Winds were very strong at times today and blowing in mostly from the W and NW.

Raptor Observations:
With the winds and no cloud cover for most of the day the spotting was tough, however I don't think there was much moving that was missed. Locals were hunkered down or on nests. It was a very uneventful day as we wind down for the season.

Non-raptor Observations:
There wasn't much excitement or new species for the day's list today. It seemed as though birds had moved off overnight and not much else had come in. The windy conditions didn't help when it came to hearing song and many birds just weren't singing anyway. We did scrounge for a total of 30 species and northbound birds included: 16Tree Swallows 10 Ruby-throated Hummingbirds (that was cool) 5 Solitary Sandpipers 1 Eastern Kingbird

Predictions:
Oof! More NW winds at 10-15 and slightly cooler temps, in the mid 60's. Skies should be pretty clear again, making for tough spotting conditions. We shall see.

Report submitted by Jeannette Lovitch (freeport...@yahoo.com)
Bradbury Mountain State Park information may be found at: www.freeportwildbirdsupply.com/bradbury-mountain-hawkwatch
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month Summary]