Eurasian Oystercatcher!

Seth Benz

Jul 19, 2022, 12:26:23 AM7/19/22
to Maine Birds
An oystercatcher initially ID as an American Oystercatcher which was photo'd on Egg Rock in Washington County (2.5 miles north of Petit Manan Island) has been correctly ID as a Eurasian Oystercatcher. The bird has a color banding configuration that indicates it was banded in Iceland as reported to me by Shiloh Schulte of Manomet.  We are hoping to receive more specific information in the near future.  The bird was photo's while on a puffin cruise to Petit Manan Island aboard the Tricia Clark whose captain is Stephen Brown.  This particular boat is the original puffin cruise boat operated by Barna Norton on those initial trips to Machias Seal Island back in the day. Thanks to all who responded to my initial post and photo. Special thanks to Charles Duncan for forwarding that post to Shiloh.

--

Seth Benz

Bird Ecology Program Director

Schoodic Institute at Acadia National Park t: 207.288.1350     c: 207.412.8677
e: sb...@schoodicinstitute.org
w: www.schoodicinstitute.org
m: P.O. Box 277, Winter Harbor, Maine 04693

Discover the secrets of birds and birding in Acadia