Re: MailSmith and Mojave - end of the road?

Richard Fairbanks

Dec 18, 2018, 8:34:44 PM12/18/18
to mailsmi...@googlegroups.com
Greetings, folks!

from cjones:

> Mailsmith back to being able to send mail from a 10.14.1 machine (didn't
> work in 10.14). Just in case anybody is wondering...

When booted into macOS 10.14.2, I can receive emails, but I can’t send emails.

I’m getting the errors:

When sending mail, I get:
waiting for SMTP server

and when it fails, I get the error message:
Connection timed out (Application error code 10160)..

I am able to get into my webmail servers via cPanel, so authorization there is not a problem.

Thoughts?

Thank you!!

--

Richard Fairbanks
li...@F-P-I.com

Bill Rowe

Dec 18, 2018, 10:10:08 PM12/18/18
On 12/18/18 at 6:34 PM, li...@F-P-I.com (Richard Fairbanks) wrote:

>When booted into macOS 10.14.2, I can receive emails, but I can’t
>send emails.

Hmmm... I am replying to you with Mailsmith while booted in 10.14.2.

I don't have an explanation for the errors you report.

Jeroen Scheerder

Dec 19, 2018, 1:34:22 AM12/19/18
to mailsmi...@googlegroups.com

Quoth Richard Fairbanks (19 Dec 2018, 2:34):

Connection timed out (Application error code 10160)..

You should verify your SMTP settings, and may want to check connectivity.

You can do that in a lot of ways. I'll show shell commands below.

First, let's check that your SMTP server resolves:

$ host your.smtp.server
your.smtp.server has address a.b.c.d

Then, check the port you've configured in Mailsmith responds:

$ telnet your.smtp.server yourport
Trying a.b.c.d...
Connected to your.smtp.server.
Escape character is '^]'.

If that all works while Mailsmith still cannot connect, I'd be surprised.

Richard Fairbanks

Dec 19, 2018, 4:54:05 PM12/19/18
to mailsmi...@googlegroups.com
from Bill:

> I am replying to you with Mailsmith while booted in 10.14.2.

Thank you for the reassurance, Bill!

Thus spake Jeroen:

> You should verify your SMTP settings, and may want to check connectivity.

Thank you, Jeroen!

I finally discovered that the challenge was that with the fresh
OS install, I was on a dynamic IP address (DHCP).

Changing it to a static IP was the solution.

So now there are at least two or three of us running Mailsmith
on 10.14.2!

Blessings and Happy Holidays to you all! (Especially to Rich for
keeping Mailsmith alive all these years!)

--

Richard Fairbanks
li...@F-P-I.com

Richard Fairbanks

Feb 11, 2019, 3:29:56 PM2/11/19
to mailsmi...@googlegroups.com
< 3.5 GHz, 6-Core Mac Pro (MacPro6,1), running macOS 10.14.3 >

Greetings, folks!

Now fully on macOS 10.14.3, I keep getting -35 errors when
emails (successfully) come into my (incoming mail) mailbox, and
only for those coming into my (incoming mail) mailbox:

An attempt was made to read or write to a volume which does not
exist (Mac OS error code -35).

None of my other 159 mailboxes are affected. I’m baffled . . .

Thoughts?

Thanks!

--

Richard Fairbanks
li...@F-P-I.com

Rich Siegel

Feb 12, 2019, 8:54:48 AM2/12/19
On 2/11/19 at 3:29 PM, li...@F-P-I.com (Richard Fairbanks) wrote:

>Now fully on macOS 10.14.3, I keep getting -35 errors when emails
>(successfully) come into my (incoming mail) mailbox, and only for
>those coming into my (incoming mail) mailbox:

Perhaps there's a filter which contains a reference to a script,
sound, or other external item which is no longer where it used
to be.

R.
--
Rich Siegel Mailsmith Maintainer
<sie...@mailsmith.org> <http://www.mailsmith.org/>

Richard Fairbanks

Feb 16, 2019, 4:06:05 PM2/16/19
to mailsmi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Rich!

I had checked the filters, but forgot that aliases can get
confused when installing a new OS on a wiped drive. It’d been years.

I’m thrilled that Mailsmith is behaving perfectly well on
10.14.3, 10.14.3 is so much faster, and seems like the first
reasonably stable Mac OS since 10.4.11.

;-)

Richard Fairbanks