Moving Mailsmith (and its data)

Neil Barstow

Feb 16, 2022, 3:01:36 PM2/16/22
to Mailsmith Talk
Hia Mailsmith fans,

I hope the new year is off to a good start for you all

I have decided [after failing with Devonthink3] that to "archive" my old Mailsmith correspondence the easiest way is to run Mojave as a virtual machine in Parallels [which I have already]. It was suggested here by Patrick to use a VM and seems a solid solution.

Not sure that would work on a newer Mac [does anyone know, like one that came with Big Sur or Monterey?], but on my old Mac Mini it should be fine as it's happy with Mojave.

My question (it's been SO long I totally forget) is what do I have to copy over to the new OS? The app, its folders (what folders are they that need moving please)

I'd be super grateful for any advice you can offer, please.
I had a search the other day, what a lovely app Mailsmith is/was when it came to serious searching!

thanks friends

Neil B

Patrick Woolsey

Feb 17, 2022, 12:16:21 PM2/17/22
to mailsmi...@googlegroups.com
On 2/16/22 at 3:00 PM, neilb...@gmail.com (Neil Barstow) wrote:

>Not sure that would work on a newer Mac [does anyone know, like one that
>came with Big Sur or Monterey?], but on my old Mac Mini it should be fine
>as it's happy with Mojave.

The latter should certainly do the job.

>My question (it's been SO long I totally forget) is what do I have to copy
>over to the new OS? The app, its folders (what folders are they that need
>moving please)

You need only copy over:

a) the Mailsmith app,

b) your Mailsmith data folder, and optionally

c) your Mailsmith preferences.

Mailsmith's data folder is (clearly enough ;-) named "Mailsmith
User Data" and its default location is

/Users/USERNAME/Mail/Mailsmith User Data/

where "USERNAME" is the short name of your Mac login account,
while your Mailsmith prefs are stored in the standard location of:

/Users/USERNAME/Library/Preferences/com.barebones.mailsmith.plist

Regards

Patrick Woolsey
==
Bare Bones Software, Inc. <https://www.barebones.com/>

Neil Barstow

Feb 21, 2022, 4:55:09 AM2/21/22
to Mailsmith Talk
Patrick,

thanks so much, that's super useful
I just can't bear to completely say goodbye to Mailsmith and running it under emulation (Parallels/ Mojave) is a great idea to enable that.

Have a good week
Neil B

Neil Barstow

Feb 21, 2022, 5:19:48 AM2/21/22
to Mailsmith Talk
Patrick
In library/preferences/ as well as
/Users/USERNAME/Library/Preferences/com.barebones.mailsmith.plist

I found a folder called:
com.barebones.mailsmith.PreferenceData
containing folders called:
Recent Files & Favorites
Recent Folders & Favorites

They appear to be empty folders but there seemed no harm in copying them too
Again, much appreciated
Mailsmith seems to be working beautifully.

Neil

Patrick Woolsey

Feb 21, 2022, 3:10:25 PM2/21/22
to mailsmi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Neil,

Happy I could be of help, and your surmise that there is no harm
in copying those two 'recent items' folders was correct. :-)

Regards,

-- Patrick