Problem with (trash) mailbox

Roger Diggle

Jan 30, 2019, 11:31:30 AM1/30/19
to mailsmith-talk
Greetings Mailsmith Mavens -

These days, each time I delete messages from the (trash)
mailbox, the proces stalls at three different locations where
the message index line is blank. I restart the process at the
message above the blank entry, and it runs until it hits the
next one. Repeat.

I haven't tried rebuilding that mailbox yet, because of
long-standing admonitions not to do so unless advised. Is it
time to rebuild it?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom anyone can provide!

Roger Diggle

Rich Siegel

Jan 30, 2019, 11:55:35 AM1/30/19
to mailsmi...@googlegroups.com
On 1/30/19 at 11:18 AM, dig...@contrawise.net (Roger Diggle) wrote:

> These days, each time I delete messages from the (trash) mailbox, the
> proces stalls at three different locations where the message index
> line is blank. I restart the process at the message above the blank
> entry, and it runs until it hits the next one. Repeat.
>
> I haven't tried rebuilding that mailbox yet, because of long-standing
> admonitions not to do so unless advised. Is it time to rebuild it?

What happens if you use the "Empty Trash" command?

R.
--
Rich Siegel Mailsmith Maintainer
<sie...@mailsmith.org> <http://www.mailsmith.org/>

Roger Diggle

Jan 31, 2019, 1:00:30 PM1/31/19
to mailsmi...@googlegroups.com
I confess I haven't tried it. I usually leave the most recent
two months of trash in place, 'just in case'. So I always
select everything below that, and invoke the process with the
Red Icon. Probably haven't used the Menu command in years.
Maybe never.

I created another mailbox and moved the stuff I want to save
into it, for test purposes. When I selected all the remaining
trash, the three offending empty entries [say that five times
fast] were stacked as the bottom three entries in the batch,
and were also selected. I de-selected the whole batch, and used
the Menu's Empty Trash command, it appears to have deleted
everything, including the stuck, blank entries. I restored the
saved trash to the (trash) folder, and selected it all. Seems
like the offending entries are gone.

I confess I'd never have guessed that the two different ways of
invoking Empty Trash would act differently.

Thanks, Rich, for the help!

Roger