Mailsmith and TLS 1.0

Primus

May 6, 2019, 3:16:53 PM5/6/19
to Mailsmith Talk
Greetings,

Bad news from Runbox, one of my main email service providers:

> On 1 July 2019 we will retire some outdated encryption methods
> and this might affect some older email programs. [snip] We will
> be retiring support for TLS 1.0 and 1.1 and will only support
> TLS 1.2 or later.

Mailsmith is limited to TLS 1.0 and this is unlikely to change (the topic has been covered here before) so this is not just to lament the shrinking of my personal Mailsmith ecosystem. Switching to a different company could be a stopgap, but I wonder how reasonable it is to expect TLS 1.0 support to survive in the medium to long term *anywhere*, at least among good paid email service providers. Any views?

Best,

Primus

Jeroen Scheerder

May 10, 2019, 10:46:40 AM5/10/19
to mailsmi...@googlegroups.com
Primus:

>Mailsmith is limited to TLS 1.0 and this is unlikely to change
>(the topic has been covered here before) so this is not just to
>lament the shrinking of my personal Mailsmith ecosystem.
>Switching to a different company could be a stopgap, but I
>wonder how reasonable it is to expect TLS 1.0 support to
>survive in the medium to long term *anywhere*, at least among
>good paid email service providers. Any views?

There are good reasons why a competent provider would phase out
TLSv1, much like they previously dropped SSLv2 and SSLv3. So
yes, I'd expect the good ones to drop it or to have dropped it
already, and the slower ones to follow suit somewhere in their
service renewal cycle.