export to a 64 bit email client

jack

Sep 14, 2019, 12:33:21 AM9/14/19
to Mailsmith Talk
Could someone please help me to understand what I need to do to export my Mailsmith client to Thunderbird or at least an email client which will continue to work in 64 bit mode.
I've been a faithful Mailsmith user since v1 and am completely out of touch with other clients.
Thunderbird looks best for my purposes moving forward.
Thanks,
Jack

Jeroen Scheerder

Sep 14, 2019, 5:15:21 AM9/14/19
to Mailsmith Talk

Quoth jack (14/09/2019):

Could someone please help me to understand what I need to do to export my Mailsmith client to Thunderbird or at least an email client which will continue to work in 64 bit mode.

I've been a faithful Mailsmith user since v1 and am completely out of touch with other clients.

Thunderbird looks best for my purposes moving forward.

The Mailsmith mailstore doesn't look that hard and I think a little bit of shell scripting would go a long way towards moving it towards a more generic mail storage format, say mailbox or maildir. Many clients can read that. This is what I'm planning to do. My work-in-progress is:

- Setup a local dovecot server for IMAP, configured to use whatever storage format turns out most convenient
    - Probably by feeding them message by message to procmail
- Synchronize my local IMAP store with some or other IMAP server to use for the future
    - I might consider running my own, in which case I might as well skip this step by running the previous one directly on it
- Point MailMate (which to me is the only worthy Mailsmith successor) to that IMAP service and be done with it

An alternative way is selecting messages in Mailsmith, and dragging them to a Finder window / the Desktop. Mailsmith will then export them in mailbox format, iirc. This can probably be AppleScripted quite easily by somebody fluent in that (any takers?).

Cheers, J.

Jeroen Scheerder

Sep 14, 2019, 5:25:28 AM9/14/19
to Mailsmith Talk

Quoth Jeroen Scheerder (14/09/2019):

- Synchronize my local IMAP store with some or other IMAP server to use for the future

Using imapsync, of course.