Serious Database Jam?

contrawise

May 20, 2019, 11:01:11 AM5/20/19
to Mailsmith Talk
Starting yesterday, attempts to delete email yielded this error message:
File cache error (read attempted beyond hard limit). Please contact <sup...@mailsmith.org> for assistance (application error code: 20615)

I can still send and receive mail.  I can still move messages to mailboxes other than the trash.  When I select the (trash) mailbox in the browser, the number of messages is shown, but no messages are displayed.

Search is not working.  [!!!]

I've reinstalled the latest version, and restarted the computer.  No joy.

I'm going to drop in a saved copy of the database from the day before.

It would be interesting to know what "hard limit" might be involved.
Thinking my email database is too damned big.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom anyone can pass along.

Roger Diggle
Madison, Wisconsin

Rich Siegel

May 20, 2019, 11:39:46 AM5/20/19
to mailsmi...@googlegroups.com
On 5/19/19 at 11:03 AM, dig...@contrawise.net (contrawise) wrote:

>Starting yesterday, attempts to delete email yielded this error
>message: File cache error (read attempted beyond hard limit).
>Please contact <sup...@mailsmith.org> for assistance
>(application error code: 20615)

The Trash mailbox database has grown beyond 2GB on disk.

First try using "Empty Trash" from the main menu bar to empty
the trash.

Whether or not Empty Trash succeeds, then use use the "Rebuild
Mailboxes" command to try rebuilding the Trash mailbox.

R.
--
Rich Siegel Mailsmith Maintainer
<sie...@mailsmith.org> <http://www.mailsmith.org/>

Roger Diggle

May 22, 2019, 4:37:24 PM5/22/19
to mailsmi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rich!

The rebuild process did the trick.

I had already tried using the menu command to empty the trash.
Search now functions again. I'm realizing that it may not have
worked because the search I tried was searching the trash, along
with two other mailboxes.

When this happened, there weren't so many messages in the trash
- not even close to 1GB. Just the most recent two months. But,
a couple of months ago, I had been pruning the database, and had
deleted gobs of old mail. Given that, it's interesting that
this incident didn't happen then. It was probably the fullest
the trash mailbox had ever been.

Thanks for your help!

Roger