Uh-Oh! Trouble deleting messages.

Roger Diggle

Oct 20, 2020, 10:23:59 PM10/20/20
to mailsmith-talk
"File cache error (read attempted beyond hard limit). Please
contact <sup...@mailsmith.org> for assistance (application
error code: 20615)"

I can send some messages to the trash, but others I can't.
Can't delete them, either.

I restarted the app, but that didn't help. When it restarted,
the (Incoming Mail) Box index has blank lines. I'm guessing
these empty lines are spaces that I recently deleted messages
from. All the blank lines are in the area where I was deleting
messages during the last hour. So far, I'm not finding them
elsewhere. If I try to move the blank lines to the trash, or
delete them, I get the same error message.

Completely deleting the trash did not help, unsurprisingly.

I was just about to send this when I discovered that there are
messages I can't open. Same error code and message.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Roger Diggle
Madison, WI
608-209-8874

Jan Erik Moström

Oct 21, 2020, 2:34:10 AM10/21/20
to mailsmith-talk
On 21 Oct 2020, at 4:23, Roger Diggle wrote:

> Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

I think the best advice is to follow these instructions

"Please contact <sup...@mailsmith.org> for assistance (application
error code: 20615)"

= jem

Roger Diggle

Oct 23, 2020, 11:22:49 AM10/23/20
to mailsmith-talk
Here's the scoop on support via Mailsmith.org -

Oct 23, 2020, 11:25:34 AM10/23/20
to mailsmith-talk
On 23 Oct 2020, at 17:22, Roger Diggle wrote:

> Here's the scoop on support via Mailsmith.org -

Which proves that it was quite some time since I last used Mailsmith :-)

= jem

Patrick Woolsey

Oct 23, 2020, 1:45:35 PM10/23/20
to mailsmi...@googlegroups.com
This error means one or more mailboxes -- in context, almost
certainly your "(incoming mail)" box -- has gotten much too big.

So, in order, please:

1. Rebuild[*] both the "(incoming mail)" and "(trash)" boxes, then

2. Make a new temporary mailbox and

3. Immediately move a big chunk of messages from incoming to the
temp box, then

4. Rebuild the "(incoming mail)" box again.

At this point, Mailsmith should open normally and you should now
be able to delete unwanted messages and move any messages you
wish to preserve into the desired mailbox(es).

[*: In order to rebuild a mailbox, please press and hold down
the Command and Option keys, then launch Mailsmith and keep
these keys pressed until the Rebuild dialog appears. Once it
does, click the "Rebuild" button, then select the mailbox(es)
you wish to rebuild and approve this action.]

[PS: It's a good practice to keep the incoming mail box down to
a manageable size, and also doesn't hurt to empty the trash
every so often. :-) ]

Regards

Patrick Woolsey
==
Bare Bones Software, Inc. <https://www.barebones.com/>

On 10/20/20 at 10:23 PM, dig...@contrawise.net (Roger Diggle) wrote:

>"File cache error (read attempted beyond hard limit). Please contact <sup...@mailsmith.org> for assistance (application error code: 20615)"
>
>I can send some messages to the trash, but others I can't. Can't delete them, either.
>
>I restarted the app, but that didn't help. When it restarted, the (Incoming Mail) Box index has blank lines. I'm guessing these empty lines are spaces that I recently deleted messages from. All the blank lines are in the area where I was deleting messages during the last hour. So far, I'm not finding them elsewhere. If I try to move the blank lines to the trash, or delete them, I get the same error message.

[ ... remainder elided ... ]