“Waiting for SMTP Server”

Richard Fairbanks

Nov 17, 2022, 8:01:19 PM11/17/22
to Mailsmith Talk
< 3.5 GHz, 6-Core Mac Pro (2013, MacPro6,1), running macOS 10.14.6 and Mailsmith 2.4.3 (480) >
< 256GB iPhone 12 Pro Max running iOS 14.1 on unc0ver 7.0.2 >

Greetings, folks!

I have been a devoted user of Mailsmith since its first release, but now I can’t send emails from my Mac via my iPhone’s Personal Hotspot. All that happens is the “Waiting for SMTP server” in the Connection Status window. (FYI, four years ago, this challenge was solved by getting a static IP address, https://groups.google.com/g/mailsmith-talk/c/yF6xOgdXRRY/m/sNwGXR8aCQAJ , but conditions have changed.)

Any and all advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Here are the details:

I have long lived completely off-grid in the remote mountains of Utah, and the point-to-point radio tower I’ve used for many years has apparently been abandoned and the owner of the ISP providing the service has vanished.

Out of necessity, I now have a high-speed Personal Horspot with Sprint/T-Mobile, and can get my Mac online quite easily again, just by plugging my iPhone into my Mac with a USB cable. Mailsmith can receive emails easily on my Mac via my iPhone, but I cannot send emails.

The SMTP settings are identical on both my iPhone 12 Pro Max and my Mac Pro (2013):

SMTP Server Name: <redacted>
SMTP User ID: <redacted>
SMTP Password: <redacted>
POP Port: 110
SMTP Port: 25 (or 587)
SSLs: Required

Running the telnet shell script in Terminal shows all three standard port options (25/587/465) connecting:

$ telnet f-p-i.com 25
Trying 2607:7700:0:21::6009:f162...
Connected to f-p-i.com.

$ telnet f-p-i.com 587
Trying 96.9.241.98...
Connected to f-p-i.com.

$ telnet f-p-i.com 465
Trying 96.9.241.98...
Connected to f-p-i.com.

(The “Trying” line seems to randomly toggle between the two addresses shown.)

Hours on the phone with both Sprint and T-Mobile have been fruitless. I have gone through the Console logs to the best of my abilities (I’m a bit rusty) with no luck.

I don’t know if getting a static IP address from Sprint/T-Mobile would work, but I assume it would be costly. Does Mailsmith require a static IP?

Blessings, and thank you!

Patrick Woolsey

Nov 22, 2022, 9:26:08 AM11/22/22
to mailsmi...@googlegroups.com
On 11/17/22 at 8:01 PM, li...@F-P-I.com (Richard Fairbanks) wrote:

[ ... details elided ... ]

>The SMTP settings are identical on both my iPhone 12 Pro Max
>and my Mac Pro (2013):
>
>SMTP Server Name: <redacted>
[...]
>POP Port: 110
>SMTP Port: 25 (or 587)
>SSLs: Required

Do I correctly understand that you have configured _Apple Mail_
on both iOS and macOS according to the above, and that the Mac
and iPhone apps are able to successfully send mail?

Next, though redacting credentials is of course appropriate :-)
the server name might be useful and further to the above, who
operates the SMTP server that you're trying to send through?

>Does Mailsmith require a static IP?

There is no such requirement on the part of Mailsmith itself;
*however* if you are trying to provide SMTP service via a host
of your own, and that host has a dynamic IP, then you may well
need to get a static IP before other parties' servers will speak
to yours.

Regards

Patrick Woolsey
==
Bare Bones Software, Inc. <https://www.barebones.com/>

Richard Fairbanks

Nov 22, 2022, 8:08:06 PM11/22/22
to Mailsmith Talk
Hi, Patrick!

Always such a delight to see your name; you’ve spoiled me these many years!

 > Do I correctly understand that you have configured _Apple Mail_ on
 > both iOS and macOS according to the above, and that the Mac and
 > iPhone apps are able to successfully send mail?

That is correct; I can send mail from Apple’s Mail app on both my Mac and my iPhone.

 > Next, though redacting credentials is of course appropriate :-) the
 > server name might be useful  . . .

 ;-)

f-p-i.com

 >  . . . and further to the above, who operates the SMTP server that

 > you're trying to send through?

www.webcs.com

I have been in contact with them about this for a few months now and have been using their web hosting service since 1995, when they were in Worcester, and I bought a copy of BBEdit to write f-p-i.com! (It took about sixteen hours to learn HTML and post the site.) They’re great folks!

 > *however* if you are trying to provide SMTP service via a host of
 > your own . . .

I am only trying to send emails from my Mac. As I told you long ago, they will have to pry Mailsmith from my cold, dead hands.

Blessings, and thank you!!

Richard Fairbanks

Nov 30, 2022, 7:33:39 PM11/30/22
to Mailsmith Talk
==SOLVED==

It turned out that four SMTP settings, after decades of use, needed to be changed to be able to use my iPhone as a modem. The three most critical were:

SMTP Port 25 (26 no longer works, as previously required),
SSL Disabled (SSL Negotiated and Required don’t work), and
Allow Clear Text SMTP Authentication needed to be turned on.

It was dozens of possible configurations, with other possible setting changes recommended by others, so it took a while . . .

Sorry for the bother!

God Bless everyone at Bare Bones for such an incredible and versatile app!

Richard Fairbanks