Confusion/trouble: Samba, account management...

David Whitney

May 7, 2003, 10:19:33 PM5/7/03
Hello, all.

I'm going to post what may be a very simple question, but for whatever
reason I'm just not seeing the answer myself. Perhaps another pair of
virtual eyes will point me to the solution.

Scenario:

Samba 2.2.8a on Linux as PDC.
One each NT, 2000 Pro, XP Home, and XP Pro client. In general
practice, this setup works and has worked well for some time; domain
membership for the machines, domain validation, etc. There is one
specific scenario, however, that doesn't work, and it is really
stumping me.

This question focuses on the XP Pro and 2000 Pro clients.

I set up the Computer Management snap-in on the XP Pro box to run as a
user listed in my Samba server's domain admin's list. I can run that
snap in, connect to either the 2000 Pro machine or the NT machine, and
successfully *create* an account on it. But when I attempt to *change
the password* on that new account, in the same session of Computer
Management, I get "The specified network password is not correct."

I don't see any error messages in the Samba logs for the XP Pro or
2000 machine, and nothing in the smbd log, either. Is there a password
encryption step I'm missing? Something?

Any help greatly appreciated. Apologies in advance for what I'm sure
is a matter of overlooking something terribly simple...

Thanks much in advance....btw, please reply to group - email listed in
headers is dead.

-David