SAMBA errors "Not listening for calling name" and "network path not found"

1 view

Don Heffernan

Jan 4, 2003, 12:01:18 PM1/4/03
I am trying to set up SAMBA on RH 8.0 to provide some extra network
file space for my daughter's MP3s :-). I followed some howtos I found
although I frankly don't understand what many of the parameters mean.
When I test the connection for the SAMBA box using a variety of
commands I found in the howto it apears to be up and running. Net
BIOS lookups appear to work (e.g. "nmblookup -B flashy '*'" returns
10.10.10.4 which is the IP address of the XP Pro PC named flashy)
And, nmblookup returns the address of "crash" which is the name of the
SAMBA server. But when I try to list shares on crash with "smbclient
-L crash" I get the error "session request to crash failed (Not
listening for calling name). That sounds to me as though SAMBA
doesn't expect to hear from the server box itself. When I try to
logon from XP I get prompted for my username and password and then get
an error that says "network path not found." In the [homes] section I
have "path = %H" and in [global] I have "logon home = \\crash\%u"

Any suggestions?

Here is the my conf file:
[global]
admin users = root
domain logons = yes
domain master = yes
logon drive = H:
logon home = \\crash\%u
# I tried the above line with a capital U
os level = 65
# I tried the above with os = 99 per one of the howtos
local master = yes
preferred master = yes
security = user
encrypt passwords = yes