unix/windows permissions problem - please help!!

1 view

Dhruv

Dec 10, 2002, 5:04:05 AM12/10/02

I have some questions:

I have a file (test.cgi) with group - webScript user - webScript. It
has 775 permissions set originally on unix.

I go to the windows side and modify and save file. Now my group
changes to

group - dmalhotr user - dmalhotr and permissions to 755.

my smb.conf file for the share is as follows:
##################################
[webroot]
path = /var/www
read only = no
writeable = yes
public = yes
guest ok = no
valid users = dmalhotr
comment = apache webroot
####################################
1. Is there a way to maintain the unix permissions once modified on
windows?

2. Is there a way to maintain the 775 unix permissions once saved on
windows?

Basically my objective is that I do not want to keep going back on the
unix system and change permissions everytime I want a cgi to execute
once modified in homesite on windows.

Hope there is a work around.

Any input would be greatly appreciated on the solution.

Thanks

Dhruv

Paul Lutus

Dec 10, 2002, 1:53:30 PM12/10/02
On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 02:04:05 +0000, Dhruv wrote:

/ ...

> 1. Is there a way to maintain the unix permissions once modified on
> windows?

No, because Windows has an entirely different permission scheme.

> 2. Is there a way to maintain the 775 unix permissions once saved on
> windows?

Same answer.

> Basically my objective is that I do not want to keep going back on the
> unix system and change permissions everytime I want a cgi to execute
> once modified in homesite on windows.

You need to say this much more clearly. There is probably a partial
remedy, but we need to know exactly what you want, when.

> Hope there is a work around.

There is. Abandon Windows.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

Ron L. Smith

Dec 10, 2002, 11:31:08 PM12/10/02
Dhruv wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have some questions:
>
> I have a file (test.cgi) with group - webScript user - webScript. It
> has 775 permissions set originally on unix.
>
> I go to the windows side and modify and save file. Now my group
> changes to
>
> group - dmalhotr user - dmalhotr and permissions to 755.
>
> my smb.conf file for the share is as follows:
> ##################################
> [webroot]
> path = /var/www
> read only = no
> writeable = yes
> public = yes
> guest ok = no
> valid users = dmalhotr
> comment = apache webroot
> ####################################
> 1. Is there a way to maintain the unix permissions once modified on
> windows?

Yes.

> 2. Is there a way to maintain the 775 unix permissions once saved on
> windows?

Yes.

> Basically my objective is that I do not want to keep going back on the
> unix system and change permissions everytime I want a cgi to execute
> once modified in homesite on windows.

That is understandable, and quite doable.

> Hope there is a work around.

Need more info:

1) What kind of client is the "..on windows". Win98? WinNT? etc. Please
specify.
2) What security mode are you operating with samba (domain, user, server,
share).
3) Have you modified any other "stock" smb.conf settings.
4) What linux distribution are you using.
5) Any other security settings in smb.conf that you've added/modified?
(such as create mask, force create, etc).

I used one of our test machines (named PLUTO), created your situation.
Added a user/group as you have, and all worked fine. Before AND after
editing the file from a Win2k & WinXP client, the permissions were:

As seen from Win2k & WinXP Machines:
Owner: webScript (PLUTO\webScript)
Allow webScript (PLUTO\webScript) Full Control <not inherited>
Allow webScript (PLUTO\webScript) Full Control <not inherited>
Allow Everyone Read & Execute <not inherited>

As seen form Linux ls -l:
-rwxrwxr-x 1 webScrip webScrip 221 Dec 10 21:24 test.cgi*

I would be willing to work with you here, or email, to get it resolved to
your satisfaction.

narciso

Dec 11, 2002, 2:54:18 AM12/11/02
you can add:
creat mask = 775 or
force create mode = 775 or
create mode = 775
in the global setting or in the indvidual shares.
check man smb.conf for some explantion.