hold trigger dmarc milter notify_classes

Robert Schetterer

Jan 13, 2015, 5:22:30 AM1/13/15
Hi Wietse,
using dmarc milter sometimes causes hold action

like i.e ( failure pruduced by myself only for demonstrate )

2015-01-13T10:46:09.372033+01:00 mail opendmarc[15158]:
3kM6Nw3sCTzDdG2l: amazon.com fail
2015-01-13T10:46:09.411674+01:00 mail postfix/cleanup[3532]:
3kM6Nw3sCTzDdG2l: milter-hold: END-OF-MESSAGE from
mail.tuxzilla.de[88.198.69.105]: milter triggers HOLD action;
from=<postm...@amazon.com> to=<postm...@mail.tlsbit.de> proto=ESMTP
helo=<mail.tuxzilla.de>

which is tec fine with amazon.com dmarc policy

dig -t txt _dmarc.amazon.com
_dmarc.amazon.com. 900 IN TXT "v=DMARC1\;
p=quarantine\; pct=100\; rua=mailto:dmarc-...@bounces.amazon.com\;
ruf=mailto:dmarc-...@bounces.amazon.com"

the dmarc milter seems has no conf parameter to overide quarantine
policy somehow

But on small postfix mail servers without queue monitoring
someone may never notice holded mails

What about include some notify_classes for hold

like

software
Inform the postmaster of mail not delivered due to software
problems. The notification is sent to the address specified with the
error_notice_recipient configuration parameter (default: postmaster).

but for hold actions, or any other idea how get notice about holded
mails without third party scripting or however how would you goal the
problem meanwhile....setting up a cron watch hold queue shell script etc ?

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

--
[*] sys4 AG

http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München

Christian Rößner

Jan 13, 2015, 5:27:39 AM1/13/15
I can confirm this problem. But I also have other stuff in Postfix that also triggers hold and I never know, when this happens. So a mechanism to inform the postmaster, when mail gets on hold is a very big wishlist feature :-)

Thanks

Christian
--
Bachelor of Science Informatik
Erlenwiese 14, 36304 Alsfeld

signature.asc

Wietse Venema

Jan 13, 2015, 7:16:01 AM1/13/15
Christian R??ner:
> I can confirm this problem. But I also have other stuff in Postfix
> that also triggers hold and I never know, when this happens. So a
> mechanism to inform the postmaster, when mail gets on hold is a
> very big wishlist feature :-)

Such as running a logfile monitor that automatically notifies the
system admin?

Maybe you can ask the Milter's developers to make their unconditional
"quarantine" action configurable.

Wietse

A. Schulze

Jan 13, 2015, 7:36:33 AM1/13/15

wietse:

> Maybe you can ask the Milter's developers to make their unconditional
> "quarantine" action configurable.

that would be a good solution, too.
But this specific developer is _very_ busy.

Andreas

Robert Schetterer

Jan 13, 2015, 8:23:03 AM1/13/15
Am 13.01.2015 um 13:36 schrieb A. Schulze:

> wietse:
>
>> Maybe you can ask the Milter's developers to make their unconditional
>> "quarantine" action configurable.

i know you will post this *g, yes might be best option
but a configurable postfix notify class "hold" option may help in any
case of "hold"

> that would be a good solution, too.
> But this specific developer is _very_ busy.
>
> Andreas

Wietse Venema

Jan 13, 2015, 8:57:31 AM1/13/15
Wietse:
> Maybe you can ask the Milter's developers to make their unconditional
> "quarantine" action configurable.

A. Schulze:
> that would be a good solution, too.
> But this specific developer is _very_ busy.

Robert Schetterer:
> i know you will post this *g, yes might be best option
> but a configurable postfix notify class "hold" option may help in any
> case of "hold"

So the options are:

- Everyone is supposed to monitor their logfiles.

- A very busy Postfix or Milter developer writes new code.

Wietse

John

Jan 13, 2015, 12:20:19 PM1/13/15
Dumb question. Are all holds to be found in the (debian case) in the
/var/spool/postfix/hold space? If so the surely a simple script that sends
a message to root (?) if the folder is not empty might be a stop gap solution.