WHAT IS THE BEST AUTO RESPONDER

Louis-David Mitterrand

Feb 6, 2002, 5:09:17 AM2/6/02
On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 03:19:20PM +0100, Jody Harvey wrote:
> I am looking for an EASY and SIMPLE auto responder. I know of procmail and
> gnarwl. Both have a steep learning curve. Any other ones out there?

Here is a vacation prorgam that installs in /etc/procmailrc and is
accessible to all users through an e-mail interface: user sends mail to
himself with "vacation on" as subject and auto-response as body to
activate, and an empty message with "vacation off" to de-activate.

## auto-vacation recipe by Louis-David Mitterrand <l...@apartia.org>
## BEGIN constants, do not touch
XLOOP=$LOGNAME@$HOST
VAC_MESSAGE=$HOME/.vacation.msg
VAC_CACHE=$HOME/.vacation.cache
VAC_LOCK=$HOME/.vacation.lock
FWD_ADDRESS=$HOME/.fwd.email
NL="
"
## END constants

# test if message is to and from the same address and if suject is
# "vacation on"
:0
* ^TO_\/[-\.a-z_]+@
*$ ^From:.*$\MATCH
* ^Subject: *vacation *\/o(ff|n) *$
## make $MATCH lowercase
* MATCH ?? ()\/o(ff|n)
{
ACTION=$MATCH
LOG="ACTION: vacation $ACTION, USER: $LOGNAME, HOME: $HOME $NL"

# whatever the action clear the cache and remove old message
:0c
| rm -f $VAC_MESSAGE $VAC_CACHE

:0
* ACTION ?? on
# deliver
{
:0 bc
| cat > $VAC_MESSAGE

:0 fhw
* Subject:\/.*
| formail -i "Subject: [VACATION ON]$MATCH"

}

:0 fhw
* ACTION ?? off
| formail -i "Subject: [VACATION OFF]$MATCH"

}

:0
*$? "test -e $VAC_MESSAGE"
{

:0 Whc: $VAC_LOCK
# Perform a quick check to see if the mail was addressed to us
# *$ ^To:.*\<$\LOGNAME\>
*$ ^TO_$\LOGNAME@
# Don't reply to daemons and mailinglists
* !^FROM_DAEMON
# Mail loops are evil
*$ !^X-Loop: $XLOOP
| formail -rD 8192 $VAC_CACHE

:0 e # if the name was not in the cache
{
:0 hc
| (formail -rI"Precedence: junk" -A"X-Loop: $XLOOP" ; \
cat $VAC_MESSAGE ) | $SENDMAIL -oi -t

:0 fhw
| formail -i "Subject: [AUTOREP]$MATCH"
}

}

## EOF

--
THERAMENE: Craint-on de s'égarer sur les traces d'Hercule ?
Quels courages Vénus n'a-t-elle pas domptés !

Holger Jahn

Feb 7, 2002, 3:03:15 AM2/7/02
Good Morning!

I've been some days out of my office, that's why I'm answering so late ;-)

> On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 03:19:20PM +0100, Jody Harvey wrote:
> > I am looking for an EASY and SIMPLE auto responder. I know of procmail
> > and gnarwl. Both have a steep learning curve. Any other ones out there?

Some weeks ago, I wrote a toolkit called "Tequila" which implements (beside
others) a module for autoresponding (including validation period checking
and forwarding).

Have a look at http://www.holgilein.de/coolprox/tequila

At present, there's a german and a english version available. Other
languages will follow on demand. Screenshots are also on the page.

The autoresponder implements the following properties:

* Fully controllable by the user via the web-interface.
* Forces the input of the absence period ("From" -> "Until").
* Separate turn on/off for the absent message.
* Separate turn on/off for the forward address.
* Put tags into your response, if you like make the the
absence period and/or the forwarding address visible to the
recepient.
* The services are automatically turned on/off by a nightly cronjob
depending on the actual day is within the range of the absence
period of a user.

Requirements:

The autoresponder uses Tequila's directory structure, which in turn is
used by Postfix and vm-pop3d (a popper without the need for unix
accounts).

Incoming mails will be delivered to

/var/spool/mail/<DOMAIN>/<USER> like

/var/spool/mail/dachser.dpd.de/holger.jahn

There's a vacation dir:

/var/spool/mail/dachser.dpd.de/vacation/

and the autoresponder reacts on the existence of some per-user files:

/var/spool/mail/dachser.dpd.de/vacation/holger.jahn.vacation
/var/spool/mail/dachser.dpd.de/vacation/holger.jahn.forward

.vacation contains the message to reply, .forward the address(es) to
forward the emails to.

But these files are created/removed by Tequila on demand.

So, if it's acceptable for you to change some dir structures, you'll
probably find in Tequila what you're looking for.

Greetings from Munich,

Holger.

Holger Jahn

Feb 11, 2002, 9:13:15 PM2/11/02