[openssl-dev] 1.1.0 pre release 6: Installing manpages error: tr

Claus Assmann

Aug 4, 2016, 11:52:21 AM8/4/16
Happens on OpenBSD and Linux (similar error message):

*** Installing manpages
usage: tr [-cs] string1 string2
tr [-c] -d string1
tr [-c] -s string1
tr [-c] -ds string1 string2

Seems [A-Z] etc needs to be quoted, e.g.,
tr '[a-z]' '[A-Z]'

There are several places like this in the Makefile.

Richard Levitte

Aug 4, 2016, 12:09:18 PM8/4/16
In message <20160804154...@x2.esmtp.org> on Thu, 4 Aug 2016 08:41:44 -0700, Claus Assmann <ca+ss...@esmtp.org> said:

ca+ssl-dev> Happens on OpenBSD and Linux (similar error message):
ca+ssl-dev>
ca+ssl-dev> *** Installing manpages
ca+ssl-dev> usage: tr [-cs] string1 string2
ca+ssl-dev> tr [-c] -d string1
ca+ssl-dev> tr [-c] -s string1
ca+ssl-dev> tr [-c] -ds string1 string2
ca+ssl-dev>
ca+ssl-dev>
ca+ssl-dev> Seems [A-Z] etc needs to be quoted, e.g.,
ca+ssl-dev> tr '[a-z]' '[A-Z]'
ca+ssl-dev>
ca+ssl-dev> There are several places like this in the Makefile.

I suppose this depends on what shell is being used. I've attached a
fix (apply with 'patch -p1 < unix-Makefile.tmpl.patch'), would you
mind trying it out?

Cheers,
Richard

--
Richard Levitte lev...@openssl.org
OpenSSL Project http://www.openssl.org/~levitte/

Claus Assmann

Aug 4, 2016, 3:09:16 PM8/4/16
On Thu, Aug 04, 2016, Richard Levitte wrote:

> I suppose this depends on what shell is being used. I've attached a

/bin/ksh

> fix (apply with 'patch -p1 < unix-Makefile.tmpl.patch'), would you
> mind trying it out?

That works (I made those changes by hand to Makefile before).

Richard Levitte

Aug 4, 2016, 3:35:01 PM8/4/16
In message <20160804190...@x2.esmtp.org> on Thu, 4 Aug 2016 12:08:43 -0700, Claus Assmann <ca+ss...@esmtp.org> said:

ca+ssl-dev> On Thu, Aug 04, 2016, Richard Levitte wrote:
ca+ssl-dev>
ca+ssl-dev> > I suppose this depends on what shell is being used. I've attached a
ca+ssl-dev>
ca+ssl-dev> /bin/ksh
ca+ssl-dev>
ca+ssl-dev> > fix (apply with 'patch -p1 < unix-Makefile.tmpl.patch'), would you
ca+ssl-dev> > mind trying it out?
ca+ssl-dev>
ca+ssl-dev> That works (I made those changes by hand to Makefile before).

Thanks for confirming. It's now in master and will work correctly in
the final release (due in three weeks)

Cheers,
Richard