da0: invalid sector size 520

1067 views
Skip to first unread message

Thomas Stromberg

unread,
Apr 15, 2001, 1:51:11 PM4/15/01
to
I'm trying to add the following Seagate Barracuda to my FreeBSD box:

da0: <SEAGATE ST15150N 3514> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15), Tagged Queueing Enabled
da0: 4087MB (8242659 520 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 513C)

notice the 520 byte sectors? This occurs whenever I try to do any
operations (sysinstall, dd, disklabel) with da0:

da0: invalid sector size 520

The machine is 5.0-CURRENT as of Wednesday, but I dont think that will
matter much. Is there something I'm missing? Please CC any replies to
me, I'm not on this particular list.

/ Thomas Stromberg

To Unsubscribe: send mail to majo...@FreeBSD.org
with "unsubscribe freebsd-scsi" in the body of the message

Wilko Bulte

unread,
Apr 15, 2001, 1:59:27 PM4/15/01
to
On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 12:45:32PM -0400, Thomas Stromberg wrote:
> I'm trying to add the following Seagate Barracuda to my FreeBSD box:
>
> da0: <SEAGATE ST15150N 3514> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
> da0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15), Tagged Queueing Enabled
> da0: 4087MB (8242659 520 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 513C)
>
> notice the 520 byte sectors? This occurs whenever I try to do any
> operations (sysinstall, dd, disklabel) with da0:
>
> da0: invalid sector size 520

Guessing:

Could be a disk from a machine that uses hardware RAID or extra checksumming
in the 8 bytes beyond 512 bytes/sector. You can try to reformat the drive
while first selecting 512 bytes/sector.

W/

--
| / o / / _ Arnhem, The Netherlands email: wi...@freebsd.org
|/|/ / / /( (_) Bulte FreeBSD/alpha Powered http://www.freebsd.org

Thomas Stromberg

unread,
Apr 15, 2001, 2:16:52 PM4/15/01
to

On Sunday, April 15, 2001, at 02:01 PM, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 12:45:32PM -0400, Thomas Stromberg wrote:
>> I'm trying to add the following Seagate Barracuda to my FreeBSD box:
>>
>> da0: <SEAGATE ST15150N 3514> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
>> da0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15), Tagged Queueing
>> Enabled
>> da0: 4087MB (8242659 520 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 513C)
>>
>> notice the 520 byte sectors? This occurs whenever I try to do any
>> operations (sysinstall, dd, disklabel) with da0:
>>
>> da0: invalid sector size 520
>
> Guessing:
>
> Could be a disk from a machine that uses hardware RAID or extra
> checksumming
> in the 8 bytes beyond 512 bytes/sector. You can try to reformat the
> drive
> while first selecting 512 bytes/sector.
>
> W/

Not sure where this disk came from, got it from Ebay. The problem I have
is I'm getting this error while trying to reformat it.. from sysinstall,
disklabel, newfs, and dd.. Any advice on how to re-format this disk that
I'm missing? I'm not very experieced with SCSI stuff.

BTW, I'm not on the SCSI mailing list, so any replies should be CC'd to
me

/ Thomas

Matthew Jacob

unread,
Apr 15, 2001, 2:28:05 PM4/15/01
to

This is a drive that was in a raid unit. Reformat to to 512 byte
sectors. There's some camcontrol magic for doing this, but, frankly, I just
use Solaris.

Tom Samplonius

unread,
Apr 15, 2001, 2:50:14 PM4/15/01
to

On Sun, 15 Apr 2001, Thomas Stromberg wrote:

> Not sure where this disk came from, got it from Ebay. The problem I have
> is I'm getting this error while trying to reformat it.. from sysinstall,
> disklabel, newfs, and dd.. Any advice on how to re-format this disk that
> I'm missing? I'm not very experieced with SCSI stuff.

disklabel, newsfs and dd don't format the disk though. You will need to
do a low-level SCSI re-format in order to change the sector size to 512
bytes.

If you read the manpage for "camcontrol", the section on the format
option specifically mentions changing the sector size. If looks like you
should change the sector size in the modepage, then issue the format
command.

Tom

Wilko Bulte

unread,
Apr 15, 2001, 3:12:40 PM4/15/01
to
On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 02:15:45PM -0400, Thomas Stromberg wrote:
>
> On Sunday, April 15, 2001, at 02:01 PM, Wilko Bulte wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 12:45:32PM -0400, Thomas Stromberg wrote:
> >> I'm trying to add the following Seagate Barracuda to my FreeBSD box:
> >>
> >> da0: <SEAGATE ST15150N 3514> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
> >> da0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15), Tagged Queueing
> >> Enabled
> >> da0: 4087MB (8242659 520 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 513C)
> >>
> >> notice the 520 byte sectors? This occurs whenever I try to do any
> >> operations (sysinstall, dd, disklabel) with da0:
> >>
> >> da0: invalid sector size 520
> >
> > Guessing:
> >
> > Could be a disk from a machine that uses hardware RAID or extra
> > checksumming
> > in the 8 bytes beyond 512 bytes/sector. You can try to reformat the
> > drive
> > while first selecting 512 bytes/sector.
> >
> > W/
>
> Not sure where this disk came from, got it from Ebay. The problem I have
> is I'm getting this error while trying to reformat it.. from sysinstall,
> disklabel, newfs, and dd.. Any advice on how to re-format this disk that
> I'm missing? I'm not very experieced with SCSI stuff.

See the man page for 'camcontrol'. You need to give it a low-level SCSI
format. Things like 'dd' etc don't do that for you..

W/

--
| / o / / _ Arnhem, The Netherlands email: wi...@freebsd.org
|/|/ / / /( (_) Bulte FreeBSD/alpha Powered http://www.freebsd.org

To Unsubscribe: send mail to majo...@FreeBSD.org

Greg Lehey

unread,
Apr 15, 2001, 7:51:32 PM4/15/01
to
On Sunday, 15 April 2001 at 12:45:32 -0400, Thomas Stromberg wrote:
> I'm trying to add the following Seagate Barracuda to my FreeBSD box:
>
> da0: <SEAGATE ST15150N 3514> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
> da0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15), Tagged Queueing Enabled
> da0: 4087MB (8242659 520 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 513C)
>
> notice the 520 byte sectors? This occurs whenever I try to do any
> operations (sysinstall, dd, disklabel) with da0:
>
> da0: invalid sector size 520
>
> The machine is 5.0-CURRENT as of Wednesday, but I dont think that will
> matter much. Is there something I'm missing? Please CC any replies to
> me, I'm not on this particular list.

Try this:

========================================================================
Yup, there's some other way to change it. Set the current values,
then immediately issue a format command:

# camcontrol cmd da1 -v -c "15 10 0 0 v:i1 0" 12 -o 12 "0 0 0 8 0 0:i3 0 v:i3" 512
# camcontrol cmd -n da -u 1 -v -t 7200 -c "4 0 0 0 0 0"
# camcontrol modepage da1 -m 3
Tracks per Zone: 19
Alternate Sectors per Zone: 12
Alternate Tracks per Zone: 0
Alternate Tracks per Logical Unit: 38
Sectors per Track: 84
Data Bytes per Physical Sector: 512
Interleave: 1
Track Skew Factor: 13
Cylinder Skew Factor: 22
SSEC: 0
HSEC: 1
RMB: 0
SURF: 0


========================================================================

Greg
--
Finger gr...@lemis.com for PGP public key
See complete headers for address and phone numbers

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages