zfs receive fails, "cannot receive: failed to read from stream"

Doug Poland

Aug 20, 2019, 9:19:42 AM8/20/19
Hello,

I backup zfs filesystem from one server (11.1R) to another with the command zfs send -p $pool/$filesystem | ssh $remotehost "cat > $filesystem.zfs". When attempting to receive the zfs filesystem I'm getting the error message (1) cannot receive: failed to read from stream.

Is there a way to force the receive, or diagnose why the zfs receive fails? I get the same error on both an 11.1R and 11.3R instance (amd64).