date command is great but could use improvements

David Chmelik

May 20, 2022, 7:50:10 PM5/20/22
I use date command formats to detail my XFCE system-tray clock. However,
weekdays are 0 to 6. I'd like to be able to numbers them 1 to 7. No
programmer/sysadmin/scientist/professor who uses UNIX[-based] operating
systems ever said 'zeroth day' to me. Even though I've programmed since
1993, if my clock said day 0, then I know it's Sunday, but for all after
I'd think it's day average users think/numerate, and might miss things I
have to do. Majority (almost 97+% non-programmers) uses PCs now, with
most popular ones being inspired/cloned from UNIX, so date command should
have options for average users.

Date sets days in month, months & civil time from 1: why not weekdays?
Could it be considered for adding?

Other UNIX-like date commands can count weeks in year, 1 to 53 (sometimes
there are 53, not in full,) quarters/seasons in year, and have option
Monday starts week (Europe, etc.)

The old European calendar (still in some use) also counts days of the
year, 1 to 365 or 366.

Another British Isles time unit is fortnight: 14 days (which I like and
of course has week 1 & 2.)