ASUS ZenBook UX305CA Trackpad: psm0: unable to allocate IRQ

Malcolm Matalka

Jun 25, 2016, 6:07:37 PM6/25/16
Hello,

I have recently purchased the above mentioned laptop (and it's great)
and would like to help make it well supported in FreeBSD. The first
thing I'd like to help get working is the trackpad since that is the
most limiting pain point.

The current problem with the trackpad is the psm0 device does not show
up at all. When booting in verbose mode I see:

"psm0: unable to allocate IRQ"

I have looked around the internet and seen a few things, however there
is either no progress on those threads or the fix is a hack and I'm not
sure how to apply it properly to this system because the results are
slightly different.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to go about making the trackpad
detected, and work? I see that there is an elantech patch proposed a
week or so ago, however I think that is solving a different problem than
the device not showing up at all.

I have a good amount of programming experience, but only in userspace,
so any tips and suggestions, or even if someone is willing to mentor me
a bit, would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
/Malcolm

Matthias Apitz

Jul 5, 2016, 3:50:05 PM7/5/16
El día Saturday, June 25, 2016 a las 10:07:23PM +0000, Malcolm Matalka escribió:

> Hello,
>
> I have recently purchased the above mentioned laptop (and it's great)
> and would like to help make it well supported in FreeBSD. The first
> thing I'd like to help get working is the trackpad since that is the
> most limiting pain point.
>
> The current problem with the trackpad is the psm0 device does not show
> up at all. When booting in verbose mode I see:
>
> "psm0: unable to allocate IRQ"

The above message only means that the psm.c driver does not know how to
deal with this device. I have two netbooks Acer C720, both have on
verbose boot the same message as shown above. On the C720 I'm typing
right now the TP is supported by the cyapa.ko driver, on the other which
was for repair at Acer, it was working too, but now not anymore. For me,
I have first to figure out with booting some Linux (Knoppix, Debian,...)
what is exactly installed now in the repaired C720. Then I could think
about how this hardware could work with FreeBSD;

in your case, have your tried to kldload the cyapa.ko and does this give
a device /dev/cyapa0 ? If it does, it will work with moused or X11
via HAL. If not, try to figure out first what is installed in your
laptop.

matthias
--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ gu...@unixarea.de, ⌂ http://www.unixarea.de/+49-176-38902045
"Wer übersieht, dass wir uns den anderen weggenommen haben und sie uns wiederhaben wollen,

Malcolm Matalka

Jul 6, 2016, 1:47:54 AM7/6/16
Matthias Apitz <gu...@unixarea.de> writes:

> El día Saturday, June 25, 2016 a las 10:07:23PM +0000, Malcolm Matalka escribió:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have recently purchased the above mentioned laptop (and it's great)
>> and would like to help make it well supported in FreeBSD. The first
>> thing I'd like to help get working is the trackpad since that is the
>> most limiting pain point.
>>
>> The current problem with the trackpad is the psm0 device does not show
>> up at all. When booting in verbose mode I see:
>>
>> "psm0: unable to allocate IRQ"

> The above message only means that the psm.c driver does not know how to
> deal with this device. I have two netbooks Acer C720, both have on
> verbose boot the same message as shown above. On the C720 I'm typing
> right now the TP is supported by the cyapa.ko driver, on the other which
> was for repair at Acer, it was working too, but now not anymore. For me,
> I have first to figure out with booting some Linux (Knoppix, Debian,...)
> what is exactly installed now in the repaired C720. Then I could think
> about how this hardware could work with FreeBSD;
>
> in your case, have your tried to kldload the cyapa.ko and does this give
> a device /dev/cyapa0 ? If it does, it will work with moused or X11
> via HAL. If not, try to figure out first what is installed in your
> laptop.
>
> matthias

Does that driver come with 10.3? I cannot seem to load it and I don't
see it a tall and a I don't see a pkg search hit. Do I have to compile
it manually?

From what I've been able to find on the internet, though, the trackapd
for this laptop is an ElanTech on i2c (I have only a vague idea what
that means). I guess I should probably try to run OpenBSD on this
somehow to see what hardware it detects it as, though?

Matthias Apitz

Jul 6, 2016, 2:33:46 AM7/6/16
El día Wednesday, July 06, 2016 a las 05:47:38AM +0000, Malcolm Matalka escribió:

> > in your case, have your tried to kldload the cyapa.ko and does this give
> > a device /dev/cyapa0 ? If it does, it will work with moused or X11
> > via HAL. If not, try to figure out first what is installed in your
> > laptop.
> >
> > matthias
>
> Does that driver come with 10.3? I cannot seem to load it and I don't
> see it a tall and a I don't see a pkg search hit. Do I have to compile
> it manually?

The cyapa.ko driver should be in /boot/kernel/cyapa.ko , at least it is
there in CURRENT; dont know if it was backported to 10.3;

I prepared a KNOPPIX 7.6.1 USB boot key (KNOPPIX is Debian based) and
can now see what Linux thinks/sees of the hardware. On my C720 where the
cyapa driver works fine it says in dmesg:

[ 18.015735] __add_probed_i2c_device failed to register device 2-4a
[ 18.016316] __add_probed_i2c_device failed to register device 2-44
[ 18.234966] input: Cypress APA Trackpad (cyapa) as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:15.1/i2c-1/1-0067/input/input13
[ 18.238541] __add_probed_i2c_device failed to register device 2-4a
[ 18.239115] __add_probed_i2c_device failed to register device 2-44
[ 18.324795] usb 1-4: new full-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
[ 18.500151] usb 1-4: string descriptor 0 read error: -22
[ 18.500160] usb 1-4: New USB device found, idVendor=0489, idProduct=e056
[ 18.500164] usb 1-4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 18.502328] __add_probed_i2c_device failed to register device 2-4a
[ 18.502332] chromeos_laptop_probe: Ran out of tries for device.
[ 18.502900] __add_probed_i2c_device failed to register device 2-44
[ 18.502902] chromeos_laptop_probe: Ran out of tries for device.

I will do the same in the evening with the C720 which was
changed/repaired by Acer... You should do something like this too, or
with OpenBSD.

matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ gu...@unixarea.de, ⌂ http://www.unixarea.de/+49-176-38902045
"Wer übersieht, dass wir uns den anderen weggenommen haben und sie uns wiederhaben wollen,
kann von den Kämpfen der letzten Tage keinen verstehen. Und kann natürlich auch keinen
dieser Kämpfe bestehen." Hermann Kant in jW 1.10.1989

Malcolm Matalka

Jul 10, 2016, 11:35:00 AM7/10/16
Matthias Apitz <gu...@unixarea.de> writes:

I finally got a chance to spin up an Ubuntu instance on this laptop.
The touchpad worked great, the output from dmesg is that it's an i2c
Elantech Touchpad.

I guess I have to figure out what driver to port from Linux to get into
FreeBSD? Any tips?

Thanks,
/Malcolm

Matthias Apitz

Jul 10, 2016, 11:35:00 AM7/10/16
El día Saturday, July 09, 2016 a las 02:40:15PM +0000, Malcolm Matalka escribió:

> I finally got a chance to spin up an Ubuntu instance on this laptop.
> The touchpad worked great, the output from dmesg is that it's an i2c
> Elantech Touchpad.

Can you please share the part of the boot messages about the TP? How do
you got Ubuntu booting on it and which version? Thanks

matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ gu...@unixarea.de, ⌂ http://www.unixarea.de/+49-176-38902045
"Wer übersieht, dass wir uns den anderen weggenommen haben und sie uns wiederhaben wollen,
kann von den Kämpfen der letzten Tage keinen verstehen. Und kann natürlich auch keinen
dieser Kämpfe bestehen." Hermann Kant in jW 1.10.1989

Malcolm Matalka

Jul 10, 2016, 11:35:01 AM7/10/16
Matthias Apitz <gu...@unixarea.de> writes:

> El día Saturday, July 09, 2016 a las 02:40:15PM +0000, Malcolm Matalka escribió:
>
>> I finally got a chance to spin up an Ubuntu instance on this laptop.
>> The touchpad worked great, the output from dmesg is that it's an i2c
>> Elantech Touchpad.
>
> Can you please share the part of the boot messages about the TP? How do
> you got Ubuntu booting on it and which version? Thanks
>
> matthias

Unfortunately I couldn't copy and paste it anywhere without setting up
the Ubuntu a bunch more, but I wrote down the relevant portions (I
think):

"Elan Touchpad ... pci0000:00/0000:00:15.0/i2c_designware.0/i2c-4/....."

I am booting the latest version of Ubuntu on a USB flash and I chose the
"Try Ubuntu without Installing" boot option.

Matthias Apitz

Jul 10, 2016, 11:35:50 AM7/10/16
El día Saturday, July 09, 2016 a las 02:54:18PM +0000, Malcolm Matalka escribió:

> > Can you please share the part of the boot messages about the TP? How do
> > you got Ubuntu booting on it and which version? Thanks
> >
> > matthias
>
> Unfortunately I couldn't copy and paste it anywhere without setting up
> the Ubuntu a bunch more, but I wrote down the relevant portions (I
> think):
>
> "Elan Touchpad ... pci0000:00/0000:00:15.0/i2c_designware.0/i2c-4/....."
>
> I am booting the latest version of Ubuntu on a USB flash and I chose the
> "Try Ubuntu without Installing" boot option.

I did the same with an Ubuntu 16.04 live system which gives uname as

# uname -a
Linux ubuntu 4.4.0-21-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 18 18:33:37 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

and the device 0x15 (i2c elan) was not probed, only:

# fgrep i2c ubuntu*
ubuntu-dmesg.out:[ 8.873339] i2c /dev entries driver
ubuntu-dmesg.out:[ 33.350074] __add_probed_i2c_device failed to register device 8-4a
ubuntu-dmesg.out:[ 33.364493] __add_probed_i2c_device failed to register device 7-67
ubuntu-dmesg.out:[ 33.521212] __add_probed_i2c_device failed to register device 8-4a
ubuntu-dmesg.out:[ 33.521789] __add_probed_i2c_device failed to register device 7-67
ubuntu-dmesg.out:[ 34.122886] __add_probed_i2c_device failed to register device 8-4a
ubuntu-dmesg.out:[ 34.123290] __add_probed_i2c_device failed to register device 7-67
ubuntu-dmesg.out:[ 34.566593] __add_probed_i2c_device failed to register device 8-4a
ubuntu-dmesg.out:[ 34.567168] __add_probed_i2c_device failed to register device 7-67
ubuntu-dmesg.out:[ 34.711554] __add_probed_i2c_device failed to register device 8-4a
ubuntu-dmesg.out:[ 34.712455] __add_probed_i2c_device failed to register device 7-67

the 67 is probing for the cyapa which is not there anymore in my
netbook;

this absents does not really surprises me because the elan support was added
some weeks ago in linux 4.7 and the above kernel is fro April, you must
have some other Ubuntu.

Can you please re-boot again, plugin after boot some additional USB
stick with a VFAT file system and save to this the output of:

# uname -a
# dmesg
# cat /proc/bus/input/devices

Please post it here or send it to me off-list.

This would be of great help for someone porting the driver over.

Thanks

matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ gu...@unixarea.de, ⌂ http://www.unixarea.de/+49-176-38902045
"Wer übersieht, dass wir uns den anderen weggenommen haben und sie uns wiederhaben wollen,
kann von den Kämpfen der letzten Tage keinen verstehen. Und kann natürlich auch keinen
dieser Kämpfe bestehen." Hermann Kant in jW 1.10.1989

Malcolm Matalka

Jul 15, 2016, 9:25:54 AM7/15/16
I finally got the time to do this. The output of the 3 commands can be
found here:

https://bitbucket.org/snippets/orbitz/7j4nx