BTX HALTED boot fail on sun fire 4140.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Jul 31, 2016, 12:40:59 PM7/31/16
The Sun Fire 4140 is a dual opteron machine. I'm getting BTX Halted and a
processor register dump right after it prints the /boot/config -Dp (nothing
else printed).

Is there any value in trying the -current boot files to boot the 10.3
host? Are they newer?

This happened as I tried to move the drives from an older failing host into
the sun.

The sun will boot a CD/DVD. Can I make a DVD that will boot zfs on hard
drives?

Allan Jude

Jul 31, 2016, 2:15:25 PM7/31/16
There is a lot of new stuff in the 11 boot blocks, so definitely worth a
try.

The CD/DVD images use 'loader' by default, not 'zfsloader'

--
Allan Jude

signature.asc

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Jul 31, 2016, 2:40:37 PM7/31/16
Some more information here. 10.3-RELEASE and 11.0-BETA1 memory stick
images both fail. I'm attaching a screen shot of the 11.0-BETA1 boot.

Allan Jude

Jul 31, 2016, 2:46:41 PM7/31/16
It is getting so far as to find the drives before it crashes, so that
likely means something. You'll need someone smarter than me to help you
debug that thought.

You might try building a copy of the loader with the compile time debug
options turned on.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Jul 31, 2016, 3:09:24 PM7/31/16
Right now my priority is a hack that will leave the server running. It's a
Sunday on a holiday weekend. Not a lot of hardware options. Can I
contrive a CD/DVD or memory stick to make it boot?