release name

1 view

Kostya Berger

Jul 31, 2016, 2:41:52 PM7/31/16
Could somebody, please, explain this:
Am I right to assume that CURRENT or "head" release number is now 12.0?For in that case I'll have to reduild the ports in case of upgrading my system to the current head, right?Because my current system was build well before the 11.0-alpfha releases statred appearing.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Kurt Jaeger

Jul 31, 2016, 2:43:45 PM7/31/16
Hi!

> Could somebody, please, explain this:
> Am I right to assume that CURRENT or "head" release number is now
> 12.0?

Yes.

> For in that case I'll have to reduild the ports in case of
> upgrading my system to the current head, right? Because my current
> system was build well before the 11.0-alpha releases statred
> appearing.

If you build them on 11.0-alpha, they are good enough. You
only need to rebuild those that no longer work.

--
p...@opsec.eu +49 171 3101372 4 years to go !

RW

Aug 5, 2016, 4:05:19 PM8/5/16
On Sun, 31 Jul 2016 18:41:20 +0000 (UTC)
Kostya Berger wrote:

> Could somebody, please, explain this:
> Am I right to assume that CURRENT or "head" release number is now
> 12.0?For in that case I'll have to reduild the ports in case of
> upgrading my system to the current head, right?Because my current
> system was build well before the 11.0-alpfha releases statred
> appearing.

With stable branches and releases you rebuild ports when crossing a
major boundary because that's the only time ABI changes can break
packages.

With CURRENT the ABI can change, and break packages, at any time.