Import from Excel to MySQL

Phil Perrin

Aug 19, 2003, 11:42:58 AM8/19/03
------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C3663D.5E3EAD70

I'm a relative newbie to MySql, and I've got a small project I'm working
on and hopefully you folks can either point me in the proper direction
or give me a little help.

I have multiple spreadsheets in Excel format and in .csv format too,
that I would like to possibly import to a mysql database. All of the
excel and csv files have is one huge colum and they are only 1 cell on
each line. An estimate of 7k-8k domain names I need to run a whois on.

Basically I need a way to import them from the Excel sheet to the
database so at that point I can manipulate the data and use a php script
of some sort to run a whois after extracting the domain name, and then
return the results to the database and have it attached to the domain
name.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

~Phil

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C3663D.5E3EAD70--

Jackson Miller

Aug 19, 2003, 12:17:38 PM8/19/03
I just had to solve this problem.

I needed to be able to have users load an excel file from a browser and have
it import.

To do this I used perl to have the excel convert to csv on the server. This
was easy to accomplish using the CPAN module ParseExcel. The module comes
with a sample script that basically does the trick.

I am planning to use perl2exe to create an executable of my xls2csv perl
script. But the perl script is working fine. I use exec() to call the perl
script.

-Jackson

--
jackson miller

cold feet creative
615.321.3300 / 800.595.4401
jac...@coldfeetcreative.com

cold feet presents Emma
the world's easiest email marketing
Learn more @ http://www.myemma.com

Landers, Jason

Aug 19, 2003, 12:35:13 PM8/19/03
I am also working on something like this but am taking a different approach.
Basically I'm creating an Excell Add-in in VBA that adds a button to the
Excel toolbar. When a user clicks it I take the highlighted rows and columns
and verify that they are in the proper format and everything looks good then
import them into the database with the MySQL ODBC driver and VBA. It's more
work up front than your solution but for the PHB it's a lot more comfortable
than learning a new custom application and process. To them it's just Office
;)

it import.

script.

-Jackson