change mysql-server data directory in ubuntu 18.04

fugee ohu

Dec 2, 2018, 1:35:35 PM12/2/18
In this guide I found https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-move-a-mysql-data-directory-to-a-new-location-on-ubuntu-16-04 the author says to rename /var/lib/mysql to /var/lib/mysql.bak but then a little further down the page he recreates the /var/lib/mysql/mysql directory which includes the renamed directory all over again Can someone please explain this to me

Luuk

Feb 17, 2019, 11:46:42 AM2/17/19
On 2-12-2018 19:35, fugee ohu wrote:
> In this guide I found https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-move-a-mysql-data-directory-to-a-new-location-on-ubuntu-16-04 the author says to rename /var/lib/mysql to /var/lib/mysql.bak but then a little further down the page he recreates the /var/lib/mysql/mysql directory which includes the renamed directory all over again Can someone please explain this to me

I think you have to ask Melissa (the writer of this article back in 2016
) for the answer...

Or you should stop reading 'old' articles on the internet, or only
follow trustworthy sites like:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1795176/how-to-change-mysql-data-directory

Or go back to the 'root':
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/multiple-data-directories.html

But, remember, always make a good backup first ... ;)