Cleaned VS Subscribed WebHooks

fiona

Mar 9, 2011, 1:20:10 PM3/9/11
to MailChimp API Discuss
Hi All,
I have two WebHooks registered for my List.

1 for unsubscribes and 1 for cleaned address.

They are both selected to receive updates from the user, account admin
or via API.

Right now my unsubscribes & cleaned are getting out of wack because
MailChimp is sending me a "CLEANED ADDRESS" Webhook, and then
unsubscribing that user on their database. Today I noticed one was for
a User reporting the email as Spam. This fired a cleaned address
webhook but the user appears in the unsubscribers list on MailChimp.

Can someone provide me more information on this? Maybe a list of where
the WebHooks are called, and when each one is called.

Bob Carver

Mar 9, 2011, 1:24:14 PM3/9/11
to mailchimp-...@googlegroups.com
I have encountered the same thing.

/ Bob

jesse

Mar 9, 2011, 1:50:21 PM3/9/11
to MailChimp API Discuss
"cleaned" webhooks are fired when a subscriber is cleaned from your
list. Here's info on what that means:

http://kb.mailchimp.com/article/whats-the-difference-between-hard-and-soft-bounce-backs

And yes, that definitely includes people reporting you for abuse.

"unsubscribe" webhooks are fired when someone is unsubscribed from
your list.

jesse

fiona

Mar 9, 2011, 1:53:03 PM3/9/11
to MailChimp API Discuss
Thanks for your replies.

I understand what "cleaned" means.

The issue here is that a User reports my list for Abuse, MailChimp
fires a CLEANED USER request but they UNSUBSCRIBE them on their side.

To me, it looks like they are not firing the correct event, or they
are not CLEANING the user on their end like they should be.

On Mar 9, 10:50 am, jesse <je...@mailchimp.com> wrote:
> "cleaned" webhooks are fired when a subscriber is cleaned from your
> list. Here's info on what that means:
>
> http://kb.mailchimp.com/article/whats-the-difference-between-hard-and...

fiona

Mar 9, 2011, 2:27:48 PM3/9/11
to MailChimp API Discuss
Hi also noticed that the cleaned webhook came back in with a reason of
"abuse".

If I knew the exact reason codes and whether or not a call to cleaned
user with a particular reason code means unsubscribe then I can map
these correctly in my code base.

THanks
Fiona

fiona

Mar 10, 2011, 2:00:13 PM3/10/11
to MailChimp API Discuss
Can I please get some information on this?

jesse

Mar 10, 2011, 5:36:36 PM3/10/11
to MailChimp API Discuss
After some digging based on that comment, we found a place where spam
complaints were being tracked internally as unsubs but then firing a
cleaned webhook. As a result, we've updated that to now fire an unsub
webhook.

That also means unsub webhooks now have a data[reason] field which
will currently being either "manual" for normal unsubs or "abuse" for
spam complaints.

jesse

Bob Carver

Mar 10, 2011, 5:54:56 PM3/10/11
to mailchimp-...@googlegroups.com
I went round and round on this a few weeks ago and no one seemed to pay
attention. I just assumed I'd messed up and have been waiting for our next
cycle of deliveries to get more data.

I'm glad to hear it's fixed. Thank you, thank you.

Mar 11, 2011, 12:30:32 AM3/11/11
to MailChimp API Discuss
Brilliant!!

Thank you so much for your responsiveness and I am very impressed at
how quick you hotfixed this issue.

Nice work. :) *two thumbs up*