search-members for content

Kevin Turner

Feb 17, 2014, 11:41:53 PM2/17/14
to mailchimp-...@googlegroups.com
In regards to the helper function search-members():

The help says:

Subscriber search keywords: Try out these keywords if you need to make a more specific search for your subscribers:

I noticed you can specifically search in a merge tag. Is it possible to search for the presence of a value?

Like, "is there anything entered into this merge field?"

I was hoping the function can do that, to avoid having to pull more data and iterate.

Thanks!

MailChimp Support

Feb 18, 2014, 8:36:44 AM2/18/14
to mailchimp-...@googlegroups.com
Hey, Kevin. Do you mind letting us know the specific field types you're searching for (groups, text, number, date, address, etc.)? If/how this is done will vary based on the field type. In general, segmenting and searching isn't designed to take "blank" values into account, but I'm happy to help test things.

-- Anna

Kevin Turner

Feb 18, 2014, 8:37:47 AM2/18/14
to mailchimp-...@googlegroups.com
I'm just trying to see if an address field (or city field) are present/filled in.

---
Kevin Turner
Broker, Home Towne Real Estate - Office: 410.326.4100 - Fax: 1.855.743.5600
www.htre.info  -  www.joinhtre.com - www.youtube.com/htresomd - www.liveinsomd.com

MailChimp Support

Feb 18, 2014, 3:17:00 PM2/18/14
to mailchimp-...@googlegroups.com, ktu...@hometownerealestate.net
Okay, so search-members can only return people who have specific values you enter. There's not a way to search for a blank or null value. Instead I would recommend utilizing lists/members and segmenting what's returned: http://apidocs.mailchimp.com/api/2.0/lists/members.php
Also there isn't a "city" field in MailChimp. Instead there are "text" fields you can label "City", and there are "address" fields which can accept all of the different elements of an address separately (street, city, state, zip, etc.).

If you're using a text field labelled City, then finding people who have no value for this field will be touchy. If they used a MailChimp signup form and simply didn't fill that info out, you can find them by segmenting for a blank string "". If they were added before the field was created and never had the chance to enter a value there, their value is essentially "null" and there's no way to search/segment by a null value in the list.

If you're looking for an *empty* element of an address field (like they've entered a street but not a city), that's not going to be possible. You can only segment by a completely empty address field string as described above. If you're trying to find people whose address is missing a specific value, I would recommend testing out "contains/does not contain" options (ops): http://apidocs.mailchimp.com/api/2.0/lists/segment-test.php

We're working to put more segmenting/searching functionality for blank values into MailChimp soon, but in the meantime, working with an external database of your subscribers' information may be a more efficient way to determine the kind of data each may be missing.

-- Anna