exported eml-files with the text of the subject

bill evergreen

Nov 28, 2020, 8:38:03 AM11/28/20
to MailArchiva
Hello

Is there a way to have MailArchiva named the exported eml-files with the text of the subject?

Thank's!

Bill

Ralph Faust

Jun 5, 2021, 8:32:24 AM6/5/21
to MailArchiva
Yes that would really be an important feature for us too!

Ralph

Ralph Faust

Jun 19, 2021, 8:31:59 AM6/19/21
to MailArchiva
Really wondering why Mailarchiva/Jamie does not answer…. But we have been warned about the support of Mailarchiva:)

jamie

Jun 19, 2021, 12:30:41 PM6/19/21
to MailArchiva
I didn't answer because I didn't see the message.  Its a little unrealistic to expect timely support if you're using the product for free.    I certainly take on board your suggestion.  When you export .EML files, there is an html file that provides a link to each and every message. Open the HTML file using a web browser, and click on the subject of each message to open them.

bill evergreen

Nov 20, 2021, 8:25:20 AM11/20/21
to MailArchiva
-> When you export .EML files, there is an html file that provides a link to each and every message.
-> I certainly take on board your suggestion.
This export-feature(using subject as filename) is very important to us. We would immediately buy MailArchiva asap you realize it :-)
Bill

bill evergreen

Jun 18, 2022, 8:41:21 AM6/18/22
to MailArchiva
It does work like a charme (=using the subject as filename) when single mails are exported :)
Bill

jamie

Jun 22, 2022, 4:02:53 AM6/22/22
to MailArchiva
You asked for the long answer, I'll give it to you so that this issue can be put to bed once and for all. Once upon a time we used subjects as a filename, but switched away from that approach years ago due to the problems that ensued as a result. Subjects tend to contain characters in them that do not comply with  the acceptable character requirements imposed by the various file systems. When adding a subject as a filename, one has to account for the fact that there are duplicate subjects. The system, therefore, needs to check whether the file exists or not prior to writing the file. Believe it or not, this extra exists check, slows down the export process because an additional I/O operation must be performed on export of each document. We have some customers who perform exports of 100k emails at a time. Performance is critical for them. Furthermore, when writing a file, it becomes necessary to strip out the illegal characters from the filename. This issue is compounded by the fact that different filesystems accept different character sets in a filename. In many cases, after stripping the combined intersection of all illegal characters across all filesystems, one may be left with a husk of a filename that increases the likelihood of filename conflicts with other files already written to disk. To avoid conflicts, it is then necessary, append a numeric sequential suffix to the filename. Ultimately, the suffixes can get into the thousands. You end up with file like,  "123233.eml", " 123234 .eml", etc.  Totally meaningless. In short, for practical reasons, we don't use subjects as a filename.

jamie

Jun 22, 2022, 4:06:28 AM6/22/22
to MailArchiva
To top it off, the extra exists check, and appending of a numeric suffix requires that threads are synchronized, and it impacts parallelism, ultimately reducing the performance of the export. I understand that micro companies might find it convenient to use  filename's as subjects, but for bigger companies with big exports, it doesn't work for the reasons outlined above.