IMAP Journal Connection Issue

archieve mike

Aug 4, 2022, 9:59:11 PM8/4/22
to MailArchiva
Scenario:
Mailarchiva v8.9.0
Postfix server with inbox of 3 million emails.

I have set up mailarchiva successfully for journaling with Office 365. HTTPs, certificates, SMTP connection works as desired. I am now trying to get 3 million emails from a different postfix server to mailarchiva. I am currently trying to use an IMAP connection for this.

Under the IMAP connection I increased the timeout to 1,000,000ms  for the options Connection timeout and No data timeout. Also, in the web.xml file, I increased the connectionTimeout value in the connector to 1,000,000. This allows mailarchiva and the server to actually connect. The default 20000 ms would give me a timeout error.

It takes up to 50 mins before I receive an email from mailarchiva saying: "ROOT account on server is full. Total messages in account:: 1000000". As I mentioned, the inbox account has 3m emails but mailarchiva is only able to identify 1m. After the 50 mins, the task notifies it has finished processing the imap client, however, no emails can be found in any of my volumes.

In the mailarchiva website I found that for Exchange servers 20,000 emails is the limit for archiving. Reference: http://help.mailarchiva.com/imap-journal-connection-failed

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do here?

jamie

Aug 5, 2022, 3:09:36 AM8/5/22
to MailArchiva

Its not a MailArchiva imposed limit. Its just the we found Microsoft's IMAP server can't cope with massive amounts of emails in a single mailbox. The resolution is to setup an Office 365 API connection as per http://help.mailarchiva.com/office-365. Thereafter, use the Volume->Import to import the data from the journal account mailbox. Thereafter, if you wish to continue to IMAP journaling, then you will need to delete the items in that box. Please be advised that Microsoft will be disabling IMAP basic auth on Office 365. If you wish to continue to use the IMAP journaling approach, you'll need to upgrade your copy of MailArchiva to the latest version and enable OAUTH authentication as per http://help.mailarchiva.com/office-365.

archieve mike

Aug 5, 2022, 9:25:21 AM8/5/22
to MailArchiva
Hey Jamie,

The problem is with an IMAP connection to my Postfix server, not to Office365.
I ran the IMAP connection overnight, and the Task log shows it was successful and that emails were retrieved from inbox. It's been 14hrs and only 6 emails have been retrieved and archived out of the 3 million emails.

Do you have any suggestions on what to do in this scenario?

jamie

Aug 5, 2022, 9:45:06 AM8/5/22
to MailArchiva

I suggest to use the import in Configuration->Volumes to ingest the data. For instance, if your mails are in Maildir format, mount the drive to MailArchiva machine, go to Configuration->Volumes, click Import, set file extension to *, select import from server, point it to the Maildir directory, and click Import.