NET-HAPPENINGS Digest - 4 Dec 2000 to 5 Dec 2000 - Special issue

Automatic digest processor

Dec 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/5/00

Topics in this special issue:

1. K12> Historic Documents on Demand -- Network Nuggets
2. RESOUR> Warning issued about new high risk virus
3. MISC> Microsoft Gives the Gift of Tech
4. UPDATED> Things to Do in December @ The Franklin Institute Online
5. K12> S.O.S. -- Help for Busy Teachers 12/5/00 Digicams
6. K12> New Website: Brainevent
7. K12> Target: How do you handle email schoolwide?
8. PROJ> [HILITES] Ages 8-19: Genetic Triat Survey

* *
* Net-happenings mailing list is a service of *
* Classroom Connect -- http://www.classroom.com *
* *
* Archives for Net-happenings can be found at: *
* http://listserv.classroom.com/archives/net-happenings.html *
* *
* Newsgroup is at: *
* news: comp.internet.net-happenings *

Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: K12> Historic Documents on Demand -- Network Nuggets

Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 16:24:18 -0800
To: network...@etc.bc.ca
From: Nuggets Editor <nug...@etc.bc.ca>
Subject: Historic Documents on Demand -- Network Nuggets

*** [[[ HISTORIC DOCUMENTS ON DEMAND ]]] ***

Regular contributor John Goldsmith alerted me to this site,
which should be a boon to upper-year Social Studies and
History teachers. Yale University Law School has stored
hundreds of historic documents and treaties on its Web server
at http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/avalon.htm. The collection
tends toward documents that impact American law or policy,
but that includes many famous international documents, such as:
-- Code of Hammurabi
-- Magna Carta
-- English Bill of Rights (1689)
-- Treaty of Versailles (1919)
-- Yalta Conference agreements (1945)
-- United Nations Charter (1945)
-- Bosnian Peace Accord (1995)

The Yale people encourage classroom use, asking only that you
send them an email about how you have used the site or document.
Through OCR technology, all documents appear in your browser in
ordinary Times Roman. These are not hard-to-read photographic
copies.

Another site that may have a document, if Yale does not, is:
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/modsbook.html. I find this
site harder to browse, but Fordham University did have other
international documents, such as Canada's Constitution Act (1867).

I'll throw in another original document while we're on the
subject. The British Library has placed on the Web the full
text of both its copies of the Gutenberg Bible (1455).
The URL is http://prodigi.bl.uk/gutenbg . The pages are
slow-loading GIF images to show the detail, and in the largest
page size the Latin text is easily readable. A page might be
your "backdrop" on the projector when you teach about Gutenberg
and movable-type printing in your Social Studies classroom.

to inform them about potentially useful educational resources on
the Internet-- but we can't guarantee that these resources will be
valuable and without frustrations.

Network Nuggets Archives:
http://www.cln.org/lists/nuggets/archives.html
To Subscribe/Unsubscribe:
http://www.cln.org/lists/nuggets/subscribe.html

Dave Rogers, Interim Moderator of Network Nuggets
(mailto:Nug...@cln.etc.bc.ca)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: RESOUR> Warning issued about new high risk virus

Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 23:47:39
From: John Walker <jwa...@hwcn.org>

The Net, Issue #16
http://www.themestream.com/articles/255572

Click on:

1. Current Events and News

Warning issued about new high risk virus

Story Computer users have been warned to watch out for a new virus
called Prolin, which infiltrates its way into systems via e-mail and is
described as high risk.

Prolin, which is also known as "Shockwave" or "Creative", is technically
an e-mail worm -- it propagates by sending itself to everyone in the
infected user's Outlook Express or MS Outlook address book. There has
been a high level of reported incidents in the past 24 hours.

As with other mass e-mailing worms, Prolin has the potential to overload
or crash e-mail servers. All major anti-virus companies have, however,
moved quickly to update their software to detect it.

More... http://www.themestream.com/articles/255572

Norton Anti-Virus Software

More about "Virus or Anti-Virus data" including Hoax warnings

Please feel free to pass this great resource along to others.

John Walker, Publisher, The Net
mailto:jwa...@hwcn.org
More at: http://www.bestnet.org/~jwalker/thenet.htm

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: MISC> Microsoft Gives the Gift of Tech

From: Andy Carvin <aca...@benton.org>
To: "Digitaldivide (E-mail)" <digita...@list.benton.org>
Subject: Microsoft Gives the Gift of Tech (fwd)
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 17:18:23 -0500

Reposted with permission from Wired News... -ac

Microsoft Gives the Gift of Tech
by Manny Frishberg

10:25 a.m. Dec. 4, 2000 PST

Bill Gates announced Monday in Harlem, New York, that the
company he co-founded is giving away $100 million to help
bridge the digital divide.

At a press conference at the Boys and Girls Club on West
118th Street, the Microsoft chief announced that over the
next five years, the company will donate $12.3 million in
cash and $88 million in software for an ambitious
nationwide program to create and run computer centers in
Boys and Girls Clubs throughout the nation.

The five-year commitment will not simply drop a load of
high-tech hardware and software into the clubs, but will
provide support and training for staff, and a curriculum to
the estimated 3.3 million children and teenagers who are
part of the community-based organization.

The program, called Club Tech, will build on a pilot
program that has been operating in 15 of the 2600 centers
around the country. That project was funded with $2.4
million from Microsoft and NBA super star Shaquille O'Neal.

Ed Mishrell, The Boys and Girls Club's vice president for
youth development services said Club Tech also dovetails
with a second demonstration project they have been
working on for the past year with support from the Compaq
Computer Corporation.

A year ago the group received a $1.2 million dollar grant
from Compaq, which included equipment and technical
assistance to launch Project Connect. The program created
tech centers at 10 Boys & Girls Clubs.

Three years ago, the Boys and Girls Clubs of America
decided that the traditional sports, recreation and tutoring
programs were no longer enough. But most of the kids
involved in the Boys and Girls Clubs live in low-income
communities where schools and community centers cannot
afford to provide state-of-the-art computer labs and
staffing to help them learn to use them effectively. So the
organization approached the high-tech companies with
their idea for Operation Connect, a program to bridge the
digital divide for more than 3.3 million youth in Boys & Girls
Clubs around the country.

"Basically we wanted to look at what an organization had to
do in order to have a Tech Center and support it ...,"
Mishrell said. "What we learned from the pilot projects was
the biggest needs [are] for staff training and some sort of
turn-key programs that someone can use when they come
in."

Mishrell said their idea was to have a project-based
learning program so kids can learn to use applications
while creating something that interests them. One example
he gave is teenagers building their own magazine. Now with
the help of Microsoft, the tech centers are being designed
to give young people the chance to do just that. Kids will
be able to use technology to pursue art, science,
communications and engineering projects, and more.

"Technology has changed the way our children learn. Every
child deserves access to this valuable medium, so they can
develop the skills that will prepare them for the future,"
said Gates. "Microsoft is proud to partner with a great
American institution like the Boys and Girls Clubs of
America to help bridge the technology divide."

Plans for the tech centers include providing computers,
printers, digital cameras, videocameras, scanners, Internet
access and a variety of software. The ultimate goal is to
incorporate technology into every aspect of Club
programming, using the technology center as the hub.

"Our association with Microsoft is critical to our goal of
providing every Boys & Girls Club member with the
computer literacy and access to technology needed to
succeed in school and later in life," said Roxanne Spillett,
president of the Boys and Girls Club of America. "For many
of the 3.3 million youth we serve, there is simply no other
option."

Calling itself "the positive place for kids," the Boys and
Girls Clubs of America have centers in all 50 states as well
as the in the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. The
organization was founded in 1860 by a group of women,
and became a national federation with 53 member
organizations by 1906. In 1990 they changed their name
from the Boys' Clubs to the Boys and Girls Clubs of
America.

Copyright 1994-2000 Wired Digital Inc. All rights reserved.

Andy Carvin an...@benton.org
Senior Associate
Benton Foundation
http://edweb.gsn.org/andy
http://www.DigitalDivideNetwork.org
Visit my new website, Anatolian Fortnight
http://edweb.gsn.org/anatolia

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: UPDATED> Things to Do in December @ The Franklin Institute Online

Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 15:29:16 -0500
To: goo...@www.fi.edu
From: Karen Elinich <keli...@fi.edu>

December 4, 2000

Things to Do in December @ The Franklin Institute Online
http://www.fi.edu
Step into the inQuiry Attic
http://www.fi.edu/qa00/attic12/

This month, the inQuiry Attic invites you to "Picture Anatomy...Set into
Motion" through The Franklin Institute's collection of Eadweard Muybridge's
motion study photography. This historically important photographic
collection is now on display.
Sneak a Peek
http://www.fi.edu/tfi/exhibits/sportscam.html

If you're in the Philadelphia area, you can visit "The Sports Challenge,"
our newest exhibit which opened on November 17. If you're not in the area,
you can still catch the action through The Sports Challenge Webcam.
Solve Open-Ended Math Problems
http://www.fi.edu/school/math2/

Exercise your math muscles with this new series of "Open-Ended Math
Problems," created with two of The Franklin Institute Online's partner
teachers. The problems are specifically designed to help middle school
students develop standardized test skills.
Catch a Braindrop
http://www.fi.edu/braindrops/

Science surrounds you everyday, in every way. Braindrops, like vitamins, are
your once-a-day way to stop and notice science. Browse by every day for a
fresh Braindrop.

The best things in life are FREE! Visit philly.com and register to win
tickets to The Franklin Institute, concerts, movies, and more!
http://entertainment.philly.com/freebies

What's Happening @ The Museum This Month?

If you're in the Philadelphia area, plan to visit The Franklin Institute
Science Museum during December. The holiday festivities are underway!

"If you haven't been here lately, you haven't been here at all!"

This Weekend @ The Franklin Institute
http://www.fi.edu/ThisWeekend.html
This handy page offers a short range look at upcoming events at The Franklin
Institute. Plan a visit for this weekend.
NOTE: The Franklin Institute is **CLOSED** on December 24, 25, and January 1.

In the Science Center...
"The Sports Challenge" - NEW Exhibit
http://www.fi.edu/tfi/exhibits/sportschall.html

In the Mandell Center:
Through March 4: "What Makes Music?" and "It's All in Your Head"

In The Tuttleman IMAX Theater...
Through April 5, 2001: "Amazon" and "Wild California"
Through January 11, 2001: "Extreme"
Opening January 12, 2001: "Dolphins"
Schedule of showtimes: http://www.fi.edu/tfi/info/omnivers.html#showtimes
(For reservations, call 215.448.1254.)

In the Fels Planetarium...
Starts November 22: "Stellar Winter Wonders"
Starts November 24: "Laser Nutcracker"
http://www.fi.edu/tfi/info/fels.html

Throughout the Museum...
Through May, 2001: "Science Alive"
Weekends, 10:30AM - 3:30PM
http://www.fi.edu/tfi/info/current/scialive.html

Special Events...
"Giant Tinkertoy Extravaganza" returns!
December 26-31 only
http://www.fi.edu/tfi/info/current/tinkertoy.html

PECO Holiday Celebration of Lights
Through December 31
in the Benjamin Franklin National Memorial
http://www.fi.edu/tfi/info/current/lights.html

In the Stearns Science Auditorium...
NBC-10's Earthwatch Weather Workshops
(by reservation only)
http://www.fi.edu/tfi/programs/

In the 3D Theater...
"The Illuminated Brain" takes you on a three-dimensional journey inside the
human brain.
http://www.fi.edu/tfi/info/3d.html

For more information,
http://www.fi.edu/tfi/info/
or 215.448.1200

Note: The Franklin Institute Online does not send unsolicited email
messages. You received this newsletter because your address was submitted to
our list via our website or in our museum. To have your address removed from
our list, send a message to goo...@www.fi.edu
Karen Elinich - keli...@fi.edu
Director of Educational Technology Programs
The Franklin Institute Science Museum
222 North 20th Street
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19103
TEL: 215/448-1338
FAX: 215/448-1274
http://www.fi.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 07:37:02 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: K12> S.O.S. -- Help for Busy Teachers 12/5/00 Digicams

Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 05:30:06 -0500
From: Kathy Schrock <ka...@KATHYSCHROCK.NET>
Subject: S.O.S. -- Help for Busy Teachers 12/5/00 Digicams
To: DCS-S...@LISTS.DISCOVERY.COM

SOS: Help for Busy Teachers

Site-of-the-School Day =AD
a daily update to Kathy Schrock=92s Guide for Educators
on Discovery Channel School - http://www.discoveryschool.com/

December 5, 2000

Digital Cameras in the Classroom
http://www.col.k12.me.us/lon/lonlinks/digicam/home.html

..a site with links to sites dealing with the purchase and
review of digital cameras, ideas for using one to support the
curriculum, and much more

Visit this and previous Sites-of-the-School Day by going to the
following page =AD http://discoveryschool.com/schrockguide/sos.html
and clicking on a date!

To receive daily updates =AD
Send an e-mail to LIST...@LISTS.DISCOVERY.COM
Put SUBSCRIBE DCS-SCHROCK in the body of the message

Discovery Channel School
=93The Thrill of Discovery in Your Classroom=94
http://www.discoveryschool.com/

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Kathleen Schrock, MLS (ka...@kathyschrock.net)

Kathy Schrock's Guide for Educators
http://discoveryschool.com/schrockguide/

Technology Coordinator
Dennis-Yarmouth Regional School District
296 Station Avenue, S.Yarmouth MA 02664
508-398-7660/7620 (FAX 7622)=20

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 07:41:39 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: K12> New Website: Brainevent

Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 01:58:36 -0800
From: Classroom Connect -- Connected Teacher <tea...@CLASSROOM.COM>
Subject: New Website: Brainevent
To: C...@LISTSERV.CLASSROOM.COM

Please check out our new website for 11- to 18-year-olds:
http://www.brainevent.com. It's a lot of fun and should help out teachers
and students alike.

Brainevent.com is an exciting new online magazine and community for kids and
teenagers. It's a place where kids can come together to find out about the
world, flex their mental muscles, share their opinions, give voice to their
musings, and be inspired to social action. Brainevent's one-of-a-kind keep
our members informed and involved

With continually updated content and features, brainevent.com is unlike
anything else on the Web. The name really says it all: brainevent.com is an
ever-changing, interactive event for your brain.
Here are just some of the features we offer to our members: free emaill
online polls, contests, and quizzes; opportunities to "talk back" and talk
to each other; journals written by our members from all over the country; an
online novel updated weekly and found only at brainevent; advice from
experts; a "gallery" of writing and art submitted by brainevent.com members;
information about issues kids care about: from where the presidential
candidates stand on issues that are important to young people, to which
celebrities are involved in social causes; information about social
organizations so that young people can get involved in important causes; and
features about other kids who are taking steps to improve the world.

Thanks for your time!

Matt Cibula
mailto:hewrit...@brainevent.com

A free service moderated by the staff of Classroom Connect,
this email list is archived at Connected
Teacher: http://listserv.classroom.com/archives/crc.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 07:56:58 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: K12> Target: How do you handle email schoolwide?

Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 08:56:20 -0500
From: Joyce Valenza <jval...@MCIU.ORG>
Subject: Target: How do you handle email schoolwide?
To: LM_...@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU

Hi Friends,
This week I am attacking a column on how various schools approach student
email--it's kind of a pulse check.

Does your school provide school based email accounts? Or are you assuming
that most students have Web-based mail? Do you issue accounts for special
academic
projects?

Do you allow email checking during studyhall and non-class times in
libraries and labs? Is this issue tied
to the availability of technology or your philosophy and your AUP?

Any happy or not so happy student email experiences? How critical is
email to student life and happiness? How much do you support it?

I will happily post the article in about three weeks.

Joyce

Joyce Kasman Valenza, Librarian Springfield Township High School
jval...@mciunix.mciu.k12.pa.us joyce....@phillynews.com
American Memory Fellow: Milken National Educator 97/98
Phone: (215) 233-6058 Fax: (215) 836-5237
Philadelphia Inquirer tech.k12 mciu.org/~spjvweb/inqlinks.html
http://mciu.org/~spjvweb/jvweb.html
http://mciu.org/~spjvweb

list...@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER:
4) SET LM_NET MAIL * Please allow for confirmation from Listserv.
http://www.mindspring.com/~el-announce/

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 09:46:18 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: PROJ> [HILITES] Ages 8-19: Genetic Triat Survey

Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 07:01:38 -0800
From: bsh...@OXNARDSD.ORG
Subject: [HILITES] Ages 8-19: Genetic Triat Survey
To: HIL...@LISTS.LIGHTSPAN.COM

Project Information
-------------------
Project Author: Barry Shiffman <bsh...@oxnardsd.org>

Project Title: Genetic Triat Survey

Project Begin & End Dates: 12/02/00 to 1/02/01

Project Summary:
This is a basic genetic trait survey, that should take only 10 - 15
minutes. The supportive web sites are excellent. Lots of pictures to
explain the traits . Not a lot of emailing back and forth, unless you want
to get more involved. What we really need is to collect as much data as
possible from different parts of the world. Come find out which traits are
the most common.
-------------------

Project Details
-------------------
Project Level: Basic

Curriculum Area: Community Interest, Health and Physical Education, Science

Technologies Used: Email

Project Sponsor: Barry Shiffman

Full Project Description:
This project is designed to be a basic survey of genetic traits. It can be
used as a high interest activity when starting a unit on
genetics. However, higher level activities will be supplemented. Students
will participate by identify what genetic traits they have (e.g. tongue
rolling, etc..) and then enter them on an online survey. The results will
be automatically tallied and emailed to the teacher at the end of the week.

Objectives:
Students will be able to determine which genetic traits are most common
based on the participant input.

Frequency of traits distribution from eight major global location will be
calculated and compared.

Students will be able to determine which traits are dominant and which are
recessive.
-------------------

Project Registration Information
--------------------------------
Project Email Address: bsh...@oxnardsd.org

Registration Acceptance Dates: 12/01/00 to 1/01/01

Number of Classrooms: open

Age Range: 8 to 19 years

Target Audience: Anyone

Project URL: http://www.fremont.oxnardsd.org/genetic/survey.html

Registration Instructions:
Only teachers need to register and supply a return email
address. Individual students need not apply.

Register at web site.
--------------------------------

Project Contact Information
Barry Shiffman - mailto:bsh...@oxnardsd.org
Teacher - Fremont Intermediate
http://www.fremont.oxnardsd.org
Oxnard, California
US

End of NET-HAPPENINGS Digest - 4 Dec 2000 to 5 Dec 2000 - Special issue (#2000-383)