NET-HAPPENINGS Digest - 29 Nov 2000 to 30 Nov 2000 - Special issue

Automatic digest processor

Nov 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/30/00

Topics in this special issue:

1. K12> Anti-Bullying Resources -- Network Nuggets
2. PROJ> [HILITES] Ages 6-9: Main Street USA - revised
3. MISC> mathematical artwork
4. K12> Science Idea for Kids: Space Day 2001
5. K12> [netsites] Pfizer Fun Zone
6. K12> U.S. Department of Transportation announces student Web site contest
7. RESOUR> [netsites] Healthy Ideas
8. MISC> [netsites] Christmas Screen Savers
9. EZINE> [netsites] The Pulse
10. MISC> [netsites] The Writing Tree
11. K12> [netsites] Multiple intelligences in the early childhood classroo m
12. K12> [netsites] Strong Families, Strong Schools
13. MISC> [netsites] Free Craft Projects
14. MISC> [netsites] Tiny Travelers
15. K12> Native American Web sites
16. PROJ> International Language Week

* *
* Net-happenings mailing list is a service of *
* Classroom Connect -- http://www.classroom.com *
* *
* Archives for Net-happenings can be found at: *
* http://listserv.classroom.com/archives/net-happenings.html *
* *
* Newsgroup is at: *
* news: comp.internet.net-happenings *

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: K12> Anti-Bullying Resources -- Network Nuggets

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:33:38 -0800
To: network...@etc.bc.ca
From: Nuggets Editor <nug...@etc.bc.ca>
Subject: Anti-Bullying Resources -- Network Nuggets

*** [[[ ANTI-BULLYING RESOURCES ]]] ***

Regular contributor John Goldsmith suggested a Nugget
on "anti-bullying". So I put that word into my Web
search engine and got over 5000 hits! Lots of Nugget
material there! I have chosen four sites for their
variety of approaches and authoritative sources.
You can find many more with your search engine.

RESOURCE SITES
http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/archive/bully/
-- the BBC hosts this site that has sections for those
being bullied (grade 6 reading level), their families,
those in authority, and even the bullies themselves.
Farther up the sceptered isle, the University of
Edinburgh hosts http://www.antibullying.net/, another
fine site for the same audiences.

CLASSROOM UNITS
http://www.onthenet.com.au/~townsend/anti-bullying.htm
Wendy Townsend teaches in Miami State High School in
Queensland, Australia. This is her Internet-based
Grade 7 classroom unit on anti-bullying, for which she
has thoughtfully appended the worksheets she hands out.
She has students research the above BBC site.

http://www.coh.uq.edu.au/Filamentality/webbullyingth.html
If you like using Webquests with your students, then
here's one on bullying from the University of Queensland.

RESEARCH
http://www.crime-prevention.org/english/publications/children/violence/
From Canada's National Crime Prevention Centre, a more
detailed report entitled "Bullying and Victimization:
The Problems and Solutions for School-aged children."

I'll add that our own companion Web site, CLN, has a
Theme Page on the larger subject of youth violence.
www.cln.org/themes/youth_violence.html

to inform them about potentially useful educational resources on
the Internet-- but we can't guarantee that these resources will be
valuable and without frustrations.

Network Nuggets Archives:
http://www.cln.org/lists/nuggets/archives.html
To Subscribe/Unsubscribe:
http://www.cln.org/lists/nuggets/subscribe.html

Dave Rogers, Interim Moderator of Network Nuggets
(mailto:Nug...@cln.etc.bc.ca)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: PROJ> [HILITES] Ages 6-9: Main Street USA - revised

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 07:38:52 -0800
From: bkis...@TUCKAHOE.K12.NY.US
Subject: [HILITES] Ages 6-9: Main Street USA
To: HIL...@LISTS.LIGHTSPAN.COM

*Revised Project Posting

Project Information
-------------------
Project Author: Betty Kistler <bkis...@tuckahoe.k12.ny.us>

Project Title: Main Street USA

Project Begin & End Dates: 1/02/01 to 6/01/01

Project Summary:
An organized Class Keypal Exchange between second grade classes around the
USA. This project will involve 4 class e-mail exchanges.
-------------------

Project Details
-------------------
Project Level: Basic

Curriculum Area: History and Social Studies, Language, Technology

Technologies Used: Email

Full Project Description:
Second grade classes will exchange 4 e-mails on the topics described in the
timeline. The project coordinators will place the information on the
project web site.

Timeline:
January 15, 2001 : Our Community

Participate in our project by sending a description of your community's
Main Street. Pictures are also welcome. Please include the type of
community (urban, suburban, or rural), geography, population, size (area),
and any unique features about your community.

February 15, 2001: Winter in Our Community

What activities are happening in the winter where you live? Winter
festivals. Winter sports events? What does winter look like in your community?

March 15 ,2001 : A Day at Our School

How many students are in your class? How do students in your class get to
school? What does a typical day's schedule look like?

April15, 2001: Sharing Art Work and Poetry or stories for Earth Day

May 15, 2001: A Special Place in Our Community

Sketches and/or written descriptions of a special place/landmark in or near
your community.

Objectives:
Objectives:

The students will:
* communicate with other classes via e-mail
* read written descriptions from other classes
* learn about the various kinds of communities in the United States
* use a map to locate and record participating classes
* compare communities
* compare schools
* learn about seasons in other places
* share holiday celebrations
-------------------

Project Registration Information
--------------------------------
Project Email Address: mains...@tuckahoe.k12.ny.us

Registration Acceptance Dates: 12/01/00 to 2/01/01

Number of Classrooms: 20

Age Range: 6 to 9 years

Target Audience: National (US)

Project URL: http://www.tuckahoe.k12.ny.us/grade2/main_street.htm

Registration Instructions:
To join this project, send your name, your school, and your e-mail
address to the project e-mail address. Pictures are welcome. We will post
each class's messages and pictures on the
project web site.

Project Email Address: bkis...@tuckahoe.k12.ny.us

Project URL: www.tuckahoe.k12.ny.us/grade2/mainstreet.htm

Project Contact Information
----------------------------

Betty Kistler - bkis...@tuckahoe.k12.ny.us
Dawn Ullmann - dull...@tuckahoe.k12.ny.us

Tuckahoe School District
Southampton, New York 11968
516-283-3727 516-283-3550
----------------------------
--------------------------------

Project Contact Information
----------------------------
Betty Kistler - mailto:bkis...@tuckahoe.k12.ny.us
mailto:dull...@tuckahoe.k12.ny.us
Coordinator of Computer Technology - Tuckahoe Common School District
http://www.tuckahoe.k12.ny.us
Southampton, New York
US
----------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: MISC> mathematical artwork

From: Vincent Granville <vinc...@datashaping.com>
Newsgroup: k12.ed.math
Subject: mathematical artwork
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 20:33:43 -0600

Interesting mathematical creations. They are not fractals.
It's produced with pretty simple functions, and does not
require recursive computations. Actually, some of these
objects are very similar to fractals - but again do not
involve recursive formulas. Some other images are clearly
not fractals, but instead exhibit original textures (like wool
cloth or carpet).

http://www.datashaping.com/artwork.shtml

Vincent

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: K12> Science Idea for Kids: Space Day 2001

From: allanc...@my-deja.com
Newsgroup: k12.chat.teacher
Subject: Science Idea for Kids: Space Day 2001
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 20:33:07 -0600

Here's a great way to use space education in the classroom and excite
kids about math, science and technology:

In the Space Day Global Classroom at http://www.spaceday.com, 4-6th graders
can team up with students around the world to tackle the challenges of
living and working in space. Through ePALS.com, teachers can find
other classrooms and students working on the Space Day 2001 Design Challenges.

When teachers register at http://www.spaceday.com and http://www.epals.com,
students
can collaborate online with free email, moderated Space Day discussion
boards and private chat rooms. Students will also hear from scientists
and engineers who work to find solutions to problems similar to those
addressed by the Design Challenges. Teachers need to include "Space
Day Design Challenges" in their ePALS.com classroom profile.

From creating a mechanical device for use during space walks to
developing emergency procedures for astronauts, Design Challenges are
intended to engage students in meaningful learning experiences, using
skills such as creative problem-solving, critical thinking and
teamwork. The Design Challenges, created by Challenger Center for
Space Science Education, touch on the national standards for math, science
and technology education. For more information, please visit
http://www.spaceday.com/designchallenge

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: K12> [netsites] Pfizer Fun Zone

From: "Alan S. Harrell" <asha...@ashlists.org>
To: nets...@egroups.com
Subject: [netsites] Pfizer Fun Zone
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:14:07 -0800

http://www.pfizerfunzone.com/

Making Science Fun: "The Pfizer Education Initiative is a philanthropic
educational program supported by Pfizer to assist schools in Pfizer
communities with their science education efforts."

Alan
asha...@ashlists.org
http://www.ashlists.org/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: K12> U.S. Department of Transportation announces student Web site
contest

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 15:33:33 -0600
From: Steven Hofmann <shof...@ALA.ORG>
contest
To: LM_...@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU

U.S. Department of Transportation announces student Web site contest

The nation's high school students are invited to design Web sites that will
introduce their peers to career possibilities in transportation. Contest
entry deadline is March 15, 2001.

Follow the headline link on the AASL home page (http://www.ala.org/aasl)
to read contest entry guidelines and application.

posted by:
Steven L. Hofmann
Coordinator of Communications
Managing Editor, Knowledge Quest
American Association of School Librarians
a division of the American Library Association
50 East Huron Street
Chicago, Illinois 60611-2795

800-545-2433, ext. 4389
312-280-4389 direct
312-664-7459 fax
shof...@ala.org
www.ala.org/aasl
www.ala.org/aasl/indy - Tenth National Conference, Nov. 14-18, 2001
www.ala.org/aasl/kqweb - Knowledge Quest on the Web

list...@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER:
4) SET LM_NET MAIL * Please allow for confirmation from Listserv.
http://www.mindspring.com/~el-announce/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: RESOUR> [netsites] Healthy Ideas

From: "Sue D. Nymm" <pseu...@rustymail.com>
To: nets...@egroups.com
Subject: [netsites] Healthy Ideas
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:56:18 -0800

http://www.healthyideas.com/

Healthy Ideas, presented by Prevention Magazine, "the premier
interactive health magazine for the latest in weight-loss, fitness,
recipes and natural healing. Find health news, forums, free dieting
tools and menu planners."

_______________________
Sue D. Nymm
pseu...@rustymail.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: MISC> [netsites] Christmas Screen Savers

From: The Listateer <List...@MailandNews.com>
To: nets...@egroups.com
Subject: [netsites] Christmas Screen Savers
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:51:57 -0800

You'll soon be wanting to load some nice Christmas Screen Savers to get
your computer in the mood. :-)

Here is a logical site to search for Christmas Screen Savers:
http://www.christmassavers.com/

"ChristmasSavers.com - Your Portal to Free Christmas Screen Savers,
Wallpapers, Christmas Games and Desktop Themes."

The Listateer
list...@mailandnews.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: EZINE> [netsites] The Pulse

From: Richard Tate <dic...@mailspring.com>
To: nets...@egroups.com
Subject: [netsites] The Pulse
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:46:54 -0800

http://espn.go.com/magazine/

Online version of ESPN - The Magazine. Get all the news and hard
hitting commentary for the world of sports.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*
Richard Tate
dic...@mailspring.com
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: MISC> [netsites] The Writing Tree

From: Buddy Blue <brazo...@mailandnews.com>
To: nets...@egroups.com
Subject: [netsites] The Writing Tree
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:42:29 -0800

http://www.writingtree.com/index.html

"WritingTree hosts the world's best free online writing workshop.
People can publish and copyright their writing and receive feedback
from readers worldwide. WritingTree also supports a fully-automated
Writing Contest Forum where sponsors can advertise, accept entries, and
complete their judging online using this completely paperless system.
WritingTree is fun and easy to use, and the company is dedicated to
making writing more fulfilling for the millions of writers, aspiring
writers, and writing hobbyists who use the Internet."

Buddy Blue
brazo...@mailandnews.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: K12> [netsites] Multiple intelligences in the early childhood classroo

From: "Alan S. Harrell" <asha...@ashlists.org>
To: nets...@egroups.com
Subject: [netsites] Multiple intelligences in the early childhood classroom
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:35:48 -0800

http://www.galstar.com/~davii/mi.htm

Jill Davis' article on the value of teaching to multiple intelligences in
the early childhood classroom.

"While the theory of Multiple Intelligences (MI) has been around for a long
time, teachers and parents have realized that children learn in different
ways for years."

Alan
asha...@ashlists.org
http://netsites.ashlists.org/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: K12> [netsites] Strong Families, Strong Schools

From: "Alan S. Harrell" <AlanSH...@AlanSHarrell.net>
To: nets...@egroups.com
Subject: [netsites] Strong Families, Strong Schools
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:25:54 -0800

http://eric-web.tc.columbia.edu/families/strong/

"Building community partnerships for learning. Based on *Strong
Families, Strong Schools*, written by Jennifer Ballen and Oliver Moles,
for the national family initiative of the U.S. Department of Education."

Alan
AlanSH...@AlanSHarrell.net
http://www.alansharrell.net/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: MISC> [netsites] Free Craft Projects

From: "Alan S. Harrell" <asha...@ashlists.org>
To: nets...@egroups.com
Subject: [netsites] Free Craft Projects
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:23:32 -0800

http://crafterscommunity.com/

"Free crafts! 1000's of free craft projects, instruction, patterns and
ideas for crafters, parents, teachers, scouts, and kids."

Alan
ASHa...@ASHLists.org

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: MISC> [netsites] Tiny Travelers

From: Finders Keepers <finders...@teacher.org.hk>
To: nets...@egroups.com
Subject: [netsites] Tiny Travelers
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:18:22 -0800

http://www.tinytravelers.net/

This site is dedicated to making traveling with toddlers, infants, and
small children and enjoyable and safe experience.

Fin der Keepoers
finders...@teacher.org.hk

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: K12> Native American Web sites

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 22:26:56 -0500
From: EDTECH Editor-Beil <edad...@mail.h-net.msu.edu>
Subject: Native American Web sites
To: EDT...@H-NET.MSU.EDU

From: Kim Carter <kimc...@earthlink.net>

Jean Marie,
You find something of interest in the the Native American Indian
Heritage Month Web Tour at TechLearning.com:
http://www.techlearning.com/db_area/archives/WCE/archives/Indherit.htm.

For instance the Web site Southern PowWows
[http://library.thinkquest.org/3081/index.htm] is a student-created
ThinkQuest entry that has a lot of great information about dances,
etiquette and traditions of the PowWows.

Good luck!

Kim Carter
Director of Information
Souhegan High School
kimc...@earthlink.net

EDTECH has changed addresses. The new list address is
EDT...@H-NET.MSU.EDU. All subscription commands should be sent to
LIST...@H-NET.MSU.EDU.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:25:07 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: PROJ> International Language Week

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 02:22:38 -0800
From: Classroom Connect -- Connected Teacher <tea...@CLASSROOM.COM>
Subject: International Language Week
To: C...@LISTSERV.CLASSROOM.COM

December 15 - 21 is International Language Week. Our class is doing a graph
of the languages spoken by students in our class, and graphs of the other
classrooms in the school. We would like to add to it by making graphs of
other classrooms. Can you send us the name of your school, the grade and
teacher's name. Then include information about how many students are in
your class and the number of other languages spoken, and how many students
speak those languages. We will be making graphs using the information.

The issue we had come up was a definiation of "speak" the language. We
decided that "speaking" a language was more than being able to say yes, no,
count to 10, etc. We want to know how many students actually can carry on
conversations in the language, speak it with family, etc.

To extend our project a bit further, we are trying to list how to say
"hello", "good-bye" and "Thank You" in the languages on our graph. If you
have students who speak the languages, it would be helpful (but not
necessary) for you to include how to say those three things in the languages
represented by your class.

Thanks for your help. It will make an interesting math, language and social
studies lesson!

Patti Strout
Ribet Academy
Los Angeles
www.ribetelementary.homestead.com/index.html
mailto:pst...@ribetacademy.com

A free service moderated by the staff of Classroom Connect,
this email list is archived at Connected
Teacher: http://listserv.classroom.com/archives/crc.html

End of NET-HAPPENINGS Digest - 29 Nov 2000 to 30 Nov 2000 - Special issue (#2000-373)