FIELD INFO

Dale Kennedy

Jan 16, 2022, 2:25:38 AMJan 16
to Mail merge
I have something that is occurring at random. When completing a merge I will have some of the fields that have no data in the Sheets cell print the reference cell. It will randomly  show up as  {{ Phone ID 2 }} . However some of the other same referenced cells will be blank (as they should be). The info in first column is populated with the proper info (only partial info shown) The Phone ID should be blank as Larry does not have a second phone. What givesPhone ID.jpg

Mail Merge Docs - Support

Jan 21, 2022, 3:20:29 AMJan 21
to Mail merge
Hi Dale,
In the image above, the variable {{ Phone ID 2}} is not set.

Here are some things you might want to check:
  1. Check that your spreadsheet doesn't have empty cells for the {{ Phone ID 2}} variable
  2. All variables are case sensitive. So, make sure uppercase and lowercase match between your headers and your variable name: "Firstname" is not the same as "firstname".
  3. Double check that there is no invisible space left in the cell after your header's name. Click on your column header, and remove all spaces after the header's title. It's recommend to delete and re-type the header because invisible formatting can be applied when you copy paste text from somewhere else.
  4. Remove formatting on text. Sometimes, when you copy paste data, there can be formatting applied to your cell content such as font styling or sizing. You may not notice it in the first place, but this formatting will break your variable.
If the above doesn't help, could you share a screenshot of your spreadsheet with us?

Lucy

Bradley Anderson

Jan 24, 2022, 9:36:50 AMJan 24
to Mail merge
I'm having the same issue. I would like the merge to not populate anything at all for empty cells, rather than printing the variable. My workaround has been to add a space to each empty cell, but I would rather not have to do that. Is that the only way to get this result?

Thanks,
Brad

Terri Eynon

Jan 25, 2022, 5:53:56 AMJan 25
to Mail merge
I am having the same problem.
My sheet is linked to a Form. Some of the answers are optional so do not populate the cells in the Sheet.

In the first part of the merged document, the field codes (for additional stories or poems) do not show and all I get is a blank space, which is fine.

The last two question on the Form, which are the last two columns in the Sheet, show the field code if they are not populating.
I have tried rewriting the template from scratch and changing the headers but nothing seems to have any effect on this irritating glitch.

Any advice welcome.
Field codes problem.jpg
Message has been deleted

Mail Merge Docs - Support

Feb 3, 2022, 9:52:44 AMFeb 3
to Mail merge
Hi Terri,

Thank you for reporting this issue.

Could you share your document at mailmergedocs [at] gmail.com so that can review them? We'll have a closer look as to why your variables are not taken into account and might be able to find the cause.

Kind regards,
Lucy

Jeannie Mullins

May 2, 2022, 2:32:51 PMMay 2
to Mail merge
Any answers on this? The same thing is happening to me. And it is also on the last question on the form.

Jason Zajac

May 5, 2022, 1:42:28 PMMay 5
to Mail merge
Same problem
Message has been deleted

frontdesk apollopark

May 21, 2022, 1:50:27 PMMay 21
to Mail merge
I am having the same issue! I agree that it would be ideal for the merge to exclude the variable if the cell is empty. But, thank you for your work around Bradly!

I also tried the steps provided by the Support staff - formatting didn't seem to be the issue.