IRC

Elliott Hird

Jun 18, 2011, 7:07:15 AM6/18/11
to Magpie
> Join the mailing list. It’s… um… dormant right now, but with your help I hope we can get it going.

Okay.

> If you aren’t an IRC noob like me, try to get a channel for Magpie set up and let me know. I’ll try to hang out on it as much as I can.

Okay. I've registered ##magpie on freenode and am happy to transfer
all the rights, etc. to you; not that this was a particularly heroic
effort ("/cs register ##magpie"). Unfortunately #magpie is taken
(##magpie is freenode speak for "an unofficial Magpie channel", sort
of), but to get it dropped requires a hideous process -- see
http://freenode.net/group_registration.shtml -- that I don't think
anyone really wants to go through.

(And two octothorpes are certainly preferable to a "-lang" suffix or
other such nonsense.)

I've read your posts on Magpie for a while and find the language very
interesting, so I suppose this counts as my token good deed before I
start ravaging the language's design with my biting criticism.[1]

[1] except not really

Bob Nystrom

Jun 18, 2011, 5:22:17 PM6/18/11
to magpi...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 4:07 AM, Elliott Hird <penguino...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Join the mailing list. It’s… um… dormant right now, but with your help I hope we can get it going.

Okay.

Welcome!

(And two octothorpes are certainly preferable to a "-lang" suffix or
other such nonsense.)

Well... someone actually already did create #magpie-lang and I've been trying to hang out there when I can. If there's a compelling reason why we should prefer one or the other, let us know. I don't personally have a preference as long as we're all in the same place. I'll follow the herd.

I've read your posts on Magpie for a while and find the language very
interesting, so I suppose this counts as my token good deed before I
start ravaging the language's design with my biting criticism.[1]

Biting criticism is my favorite kind!

- bob

Elliott Hird

Jun 19, 2011, 10:51:46 PM6/19/11
to Magpie
On Jun 18, 10:22 pm, Bob Nystrom <munificent...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Welcome!

Thanks.

> Well... someone actually already did create #magpie-lang and I've been
> trying to hang out there when I can. If there's a compelling reason why we
> should prefer one or the other, let us know. I don't personally have a
> preference as long as we're all in the same place. I'll follow the herd.

Ah, there isn't much reason at all, then. I checked the mailing list
but didn't see any posts about IRC so I decided to be bold. I'm in
#magpie-lang now. (Should have tried to join it!)

> I've read your posts on Magpie for a while and find the language very
>
> > interesting, so I suppose this counts as my token good deed before I
> > start ravaging the language's design with my biting criticism.[1]

(Is it your mail client messing up this quoting or the Google Groups
web client? I've noticed it a lot in the archives.)

> Biting criticism is my favorite kind!

Excellent! Soon you will be *forced* by the forces of pure logic to
make my favourite language!

Bob Nystrom

Jun 22, 2011, 1:43:08 AM6/22/11
to magpi...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Elliott Hird
<penguino...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 18, 10:22 pm, Bob Nystrom <munificent...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah, there isn't much reason at all, then. I checked the mailing list
> but didn't see any posts about IRC so I decided to be bold.

That's a good point. I'll try to update the site to mention it when I
get a chance.

> (Is it your mail client messing up this quoting or the Google Groups
> web client? I've noticed it a lot in the archives.)

Oops, I've been using gmail and apparently it's horking up the
plaintext. I'll try to not do that.

> Excellent! Soon you will be *forced* by the forces of pure logic to
> make my favourite language!

Pure logic will tell you that Magpie already is your favorite language!

- bob