Fuzzing Magma

D. Kladis

Jul 11, 2021, 10:29:37 AM7/11/21
to magma-dev

Hello all,

let me start by introducing myself. I am a computer science student at the TU Berlin doing my thesis on the security of open 5G and more specifically how fuzz testing should be used and what the benefits are.

Sadly there is only limited research and publications on the topic. We have a colleague that is working on fuzzing srsRAN and some people tried to fuzz before but only closed source LTE implementations.

Magma sounds really interesting and I am really optimistic in the open cellular future and its benefits. I wanted to ask, what the security status of the framework currently as any insight would help me a great deal with my research.

Have you implemented a fuzzing engine in the pipeline and if not have you considered using one? How would one go about fuzzing Magma to find potential vulnerabilities and what results are expected? Do you have any links or documentation that goes over the security aspect of the framework or that would be interesting to look at?

Thanks a lot for your time and keep up the great work!

Dionysios Kladis