Configuring physical eNB with development environment

Callum Snowden

Jan 15, 2021, 8:57:58 AM1/15/21
to magma-dev
Hi all,

I'm trying to set up an Amarisoft eNB with Magma v1.3.2 running as a development environment. So far I have followed the setup guide from here which has given me access to the NMS, and everything seems to be working as expected.

I then followed the guide here to connect a physical eNB to the AGW VM. At this point things start to get a little unclear:
  • My VM has three network adapters connected (1, 2 and 3) which correspond to eth0, 1 and 2 within the AGW VM (I confirmed this by checking the MAC address that Virtualbox lists for the adapters, and seeing what they match up with in the VM)
  • The docs say that Adapter 1 should be changed to bridged mode, which does not allow me to use "vagrant ssh magma" to connect to the VM - I left this set as the default setup of "NAT"
  • By default, Adapter 2 is set to "host-only network" mode with a network of "vboxnet0" - I have set this to bridged mode and connected it to the appropriate interface on my laptop to connect the Amarisoft eNB to
  • Adapter 3 is left as is
I have changed the pipelined.yml configuration file to match the documentation, with "nat_iface" being set to "eth0" and other options being left as-is, and all services have been restarted with "sudo service magma@* stop" and "sudo service magma@magmad restart".

I have now run into the issue of not being able to use "vagrant ssh magma" to access the VM - it seems to attempt a connection and then eventually times out.

The NMS also seems to show the status of the AGW VM as flipping between good and bad, which makes me think something isn't communicating or working right.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start diagnosing this issue?

Another issue I am seeing is that once the eth1 adapter is set to bridged, my Amarisoft eNB does attempt an S1 connection which does come up, and I have successfully managed to connect a UE to the network.
However, the UE does not seem to be able to access the internet. I have the gateway EPC set up to do NAT IP allocation, with the range of 10.100.100.0/24 which matches my office network. I have set an APN, and entered that on the UE, and also assigned the same APN to the subscriber in the NMS.

 I'm not sure where would be best to start troubleshooting this issue? It is made more complicated by the fact that I am struggling to now SSH into the AGW virtual machine.

I am happy to post any log files or any other information that would help in troubleshooting, so far I have a wireshark capture of the eNB setting up a connection for the UE but I can get more.

Best,
Callum.

Arif Khan

Jan 18, 2021, 4:14:09 AM1/18/21
to Callum Snowden, magma-dev
Dear Team

I am new to this , i am doing POC for Magma and then using Radio simulator . I am confused i am seeing in Magma its showing X86 architecture and then AMD . What server i need to do , can some one guide ?

Regards
Arif

Arif Khan

Jan 19, 2021, 7:11:27 AM1/19/21
to Callum Snowden, magma-dev
Guys any help on below topic

Sent from my iPhone

Karthik Subraveti

Jan 19, 2021, 8:29:31 AM1/19/21
to Callum Snowden, magma-dev
Hey Callum

Typically for bare metal setup, the recommended guide is https://magma.github.io/magma/docs/lte/setup_deb guide

Have answered the query inline

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 5:58 AM Callum Snowden <c.sn...@limemicro.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to set up an Amarisoft eNB with Magma v1.3.2 running as a development environment. So far I have followed the setup guide from here which has given me access to the NMS, and everything seems to be working as expected.

I then followed the guide here to connect a physical eNB to the AGW VM. At this point things start to get a little unclear:
  • My VM has three network adapters connected (1, 2 and 3) which correspond to eth0, 1 and 2 within the AGW VM (I confirmed this by checking the MAC address that Virtualbox lists for the adapters, and seeing what they match up with in the VM)
  • The docs say that Adapter 1 should be changed to bridged mode, which does not allow me to use "vagrant ssh magma" to connect to the VM - I left this set as the default setup of "NAT"
  • By default, Adapter 2 is set to "host-only network" mode with a network of "vboxnet0" - I have set this to bridged mode and connected it to the appropriate interface on my laptop to connect the Amarisoft eNB to
  • Adapter 3 is left as is
I have changed the pipelined.yml configuration file to match the documentation, with "nat_iface" being set to "eth0" and other options being left as-is, and all services have been restarted with "sudo service magma@* stop" and "sudo service magma@magmad restart".

I have now run into the issue of not being able to use "vagrant ssh magma" to access the VM - it seems to attempt a connection and then eventually times out.

The NMS also seems to show the status of the AGW VM as flipping between good and bad, which makes me think something isn't communicating or working right.

> NMS showing the flipping status means that the gateway check in is not happening properly, which depends on Orc8r <---> AGW network. Is the interface used to reach orc8r
configured properly ?

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start diagnosing this issue?

Another issue I am seeing is that once the eth1 adapter is set to bridged, my Amarisoft eNB does attempt an S1 connection which does come up, and I have successfully managed to connect a UE to the network.
However, the UE does not seem to be able to access the internet. I have the gateway EPC set up to do NAT IP allocation, with the range of 10.100.100.0/24 which matches my office network. I have set an APN, and entered that on the UE, and also assigned the same APN to the subscriber in the NMS.

> The best place to start diagnosing this issue is from pipelined logs. There is a ansible script "show-tech"
If you can collect all the relevant logs through show-tech and attach it here, it would be great.

 I'm not sure where would be best to start troubleshooting this issue? It is made more complicated by the fact that I am struggling to now SSH into the AGW virtual machine.

I am happy to post any log files or any other information that would help in troubleshooting, so far I have a wireshark capture of the eNB setting up a connection for the UE but I can get more.

Best,
Callum.

Also FYI, I have seen usually people respond more actively on slack than on google groups.

..
Karthik

Karthik Subraveti

Jan 19, 2021, 8:32:43 AM1/19/21
to Arif Khan, magma-dev

"AGW_HOST: 64bit-X86 machine, hardware strongly recommended (not virtualized). You will need two ethernet ports. We use enp1s0 and enp2s0 in this guide. They might have different names on your hardware so just replace enp1s0 and enp2s0 with your current interfaces name in this guideline. One port is for the SGi interface (default: enp1s0) and one for the S1 interface (default: enp2s0). Note that the agw_install.sh script will rename the enp1s0 interface to eth0."

Let me know if you have any questions.
As mentioned in the earlier thread, slack group is more active.

Diorges Rocha

Jan 21, 2021, 11:44:11 AM1/21/21
to magma-dev
Hello,

I have the Magma running locally (Orchestrator, NMS and AGW on Vagrant) with physical eNodeB perfectly, tested IMSI client and Internet worked good.

Now I`m trying to run AGW separately, but without success, I am getting error with SSL certs

>Jan 21 10:58:48 magma magmad[16406]: E0121 10:58:48.607380295 16420 ssl_transport_security.cc:1229] Handshake failed with fatal error SSL_ERROR_SSL: error:10000095:SSL routines:OPENSSL_internal:ERROR_PARSING_EXTENSION.

Diorges Rocha

Jan 21, 2021, 11:45:24 AM1/21/21
to magma-dev

Eduardo Gomes

Dec 13, 2022, 1:42:18 PM12/13/22
to magma-dev

Good afternoon friend, I performed the entire installation of magma, local, but I can't connect the enodb nova 246 in the system, could you help me

Clovis Lacerda

Oct 4, 2023, 12:31:16 PM10/4/23
to magma-dev
Eduardo, were you able to finish your magma install with Nova 246?