Open source update

Richard Sargent

Oct 1, 2014, 2:33:42 PM10/1/14
to maglev-d...@googlegroups.com
A number of people have been pleading with GemTalk Systems to open up the MagLev Ruby compiler so they can add 1.9 or 2.x support.

  • At this time, GemTalk has no plans to turn MagLev into a commercial product and we will not dedicate resources to its on-going development.  However that decision could change down the road if MagLev becomes exceptionally popular.  Also, GemTalk engineers are free to contribute to the MagLev community on their own time, as they have in the past.
  • We will release enough of the C++ source code to the community such that the internals of the Ruby compiler and grammar can be accessed.  The goal is to enable the MagLev community to continue developing the product so that new versions of Ruby can be supported (1.9 and beyond).
  • There is a moderate amount of source code refactoring required to make this happen.  We anticipate completing that work and releasing it to the community, at the latest, by the end of 2014.
  • The new source code will be released under the existing MagLev licensing terms.

Jesse Cooke

Oct 1, 2014, 8:56:11 PM10/1/14
to maglev-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update Richard! It's a bummer, but understandable giving GemTalk's position.

Richard Sargent

Oct 23, 2014, 12:56:23 AM10/23/14

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 11:33 AM, Richard Sargent wrote:

[...]

Allen has posted an update to this on GitHub.
Read the details here: https://github.com/MagLev/maglev/issues/352