2/27/2024 Meeting Minutes

Vice President of MAGLaboratory

Feb 28, 2024, 1:04:34 AMFeb 28
to MAG Lab

2024-02-27 Meeting Minutes

Call to order: 8:42 PM by Richard L.

Attendees

  • Richard L.

  • Brandon L.

  • Kevin Y.

  • Michael J.

  • Rosa C.

Past Events

  • Open Project Night (6:30 PM, Fri Feb 23th)

    • A few people showed up. No new faces.

  • February Cookie-Painting Event (3:00 PM, Sat Feb 24th)

    • It went well.

    • A couple people showed and frosted cookies.

    • Found out the sugar pearls contain mica powder.

    • Went to Jolibees afterwards.

    • Maybe next time something art related, but not cookies.

      • Edible rice paper?

      • Bring back the bow and arrow?

Upcoming Events

  • Open Project Night (6:30 PM, Fri Mar 1st)

    • Brandon is hosting.

    • Flatcam dry run.

  • Touching Grass Pt. 3. (8:00 AM, Sun March 3rd)

    • Locations

      • Richard’s front lawn

      • Antonovich trail to Ikea/Jollibee

        • Leave a car at the other end of the trail.

    • Interested

      • Richard L.

        • Prefer Sun. March 3rd?

      • Kevin Y.

      • Brandon L. (needs waking)

      • Michael J. (needs ride)

  • Welding class part 2 (2:00 PM, Sat March 2nd)

    • Playing content by ear depending on who shows up.

    • BYOWelder? (If you want. We have enough welders though.)

    • Needs a description and picture to send to Rosa.

      • Any pictures from the last welding class?

    • Richard to confirm with David.

  • Belated Pi(e) and Corndogs day (4:00 PM, Sat March 16th)

  • A “How to basically use the mill or lathe” class?

    • Trent is busy… after Bantam Mill is done… after Wasteland Weekend… after readjustment to non-party life.

    • Richard available for super duper basically how to use the mill or lathe.

    • Please express interest to Richard or Trent on Discord.

      • Richard available for impromptu classes.

    • Make something as simple as a coin?

    • Complex as a d20?

    • Customizable totem (like from Inception)

    • BYO3Dmodel beforehand.

    • “👍” - Trent.

    • Trent almost done putting together. Time and date TBD.

  • How to use the new CNC mill class?

    • We can advertise that we have a “user friendly” CNC…

    • Please express interest to Richard or Trent on Discord.

    • Bantam mill needs tooling caddy

    • Bantam mill has a home

    • Would like 2 weeks or a month of notice to advertise.

    • Combine with the mill or lathe class?

  • Ovitt Family Community Library Maker Event (June 2024)

    • A change to show what makerspaces/MagLab is about.

    • Interested

      • Brandon L.

      • Kevin Y.

      • Richard

    • What are booth size, event specifics?

      • When? Where? What is it about?

      • Target age group.

      • Can we get lots of table space and power?

      • If it’s just handing out flyers, probably not interested.

    • Probably some sort of activity?

      • 3D printing

        • Kind of slow.

        • 5 printers would be quite a show, staffing permitting.

      • Arduino robot/rover

        • Pre-canned commands/movements.

      • Bring the Bantam?

    • Needs more than 3 people.

    • Hong is in contact with someone at the library.

      • Still in pre-planning.

      • Jun 2024 on a Sat.

      • Targeting all ages.

      • Outdoor venue.

      • Electrical provided.

      • 2023-12-19: No further updates.

      • 2023-12-26: No further updates.

      • 2023-01-09: No further updates.

      • 2023-01-13: Hong sent an email asking for updates, but no response.

      • 2023-02-20: No response.

      • 2023-02-27: No updates.

    • Shared booth with UMakers?

  • Kicad/PCB Milling/Flatcam Class

    • Proposed by Brandon

    • Single-layer copper with holes.

    • Date TBD

    • Dry-run on Friday.

      • Still need to do a dry run.

      • Brandon wants to use the Little Machine Shop CNC.

      • Richard will yell at Brandon.

Section Lead Updates

  • Brandon L. (CTO)

    • Discovered that the privacy switch indicator on HAL is broken.

    • Still making progress on the touch wall switch for the outdoor light and machining area light.

  • Rosa C. (Public Relations)

    • Facebook and Twitter/X are quiet.

    • Don’t get much engagement on Bluesky unless you post ~every 3 days.

Discussion Items

  • Bylaw amendment for Code of Conduct.

    • Still need to file with the state (usually done around tax time). Not time-critical.

    • “I voted” gift cards to be distributed.

  • Sponsorship packet. (On hold because Richard is busy)

    • Expect a final draft to send out by the meeting of 11/21.

    • Richard has a final draft.

    • Now to find where to send these too.

    • Richard to CC Rosa on company list and outgoing emails.

    • Companies in consideration:

      • Monoprice

      • Hackaday /  Supplyframe

      • Olympus Controls

      • Digikey?

      • Mcmaster Carr?

      • Send more suggestions…

    • Feedback is generally bad.

      • Cold calling is difficult.

        • Organizations with prior relationships are better.

        • Doesn’t have to be a big business.

          • Such a scrap materials from the woodworking neighbor?

      • Making event or class.

        • Combined fundraising/advertising.

        • Solicit sponsorships for an event/hackathon.

        • Donate materials or money.

        • Possibly a very big organized event.

    • Keep an eye out for events we can participate in.

      • Fundraising profit-sharing programs. (E.g. Krispy Kreme donuts or Pieology)

        • These tend to become us indirectly donating to ourselves.

    • Paid ads? - Michael

      • Talk to Rosa.

  • Let’s think of a big event for the first half of 2024 that we can use as a fundraising event.

    • An event that we would market more.

    • Purpose

      • Giving back to the community.

      • Practice for fundraising, sponsorship, and running events.

      • Attracting people outside of MagLab

  • Lower cost “day use”/”guest use”/”trial membership”

    • Not a full membership

      • no storage

      • no voting rights

      • no large dangerous tools.

        • 1 day is not enough to check for trust and competence.

    • What is the sweet spot?

      • $20/day?

      • For reference, bicycle kitchen is $8/hr.

      • Pose questions to guests and visitors to events and open project nights.

        • Other questions

          • What days?

          • What hours?

            • Nobody really shows up for David’s curator hours 1pm-5pm.

          • What tools?

    • Concerns

      • Is this in line with what we want community/culture wise.

      • Abuse of tools & materials.

      • Type of people this attracts.

        • Previous bad experiences with transient use.

        • Require vouching by existing member?

      • Space isn’t always open.

        • Dedicated hours? Need volunteers.

        • At open project night?

        • Your $20 reserves an at least 4 hour appointment one of these days:

          • Friday: 10 AM to 10 PM (Brandon)

          • Saturday: 1 PM to 5-6 PM (David), 5-6 PM to 10 PM (Brandon)

          • Sunday: 4 PM to 9 PM (Brandon)

          • Monday & Wednesday: 1 PM to 8 PM (David).

          • At appointment time, they should give an idea of what they want to do during that time.

    • A way to get people in the door.

    • Will need a bylaws change.

      • Maybe not needed for experimental “fundraising days”.

      • Need a special meeting.

        • Should give a questions/comments period during the special meeting, then voting after that.

    • Market Research

      • $20/day seems reasonable from the people we have asked.

    • Additional benefits

      • “Project kits”?

        • For people who don’t already have a project in mind.

        • Edge-lit acrylic sign

  • Cal Poly Pomona Rover Team sponsorship request

    • Team dropped by on Jan 26th Open Project Night

      • Space seems generally useful to them. They have a shop, but not a mill or lathe.

      • MagLab is not in a position to financially sponsor.

      • Sponsor 1 general member and space for only the rover project?

        • Rolled over into keyed membership is they’re still interested in exchange for advertising.

        • Vote for Richard sponsoring 1 general member, rolling into keyed membership after a tryout period. Plus dedicated storage space for the rover project:

          • For: Unanimous

        • Richard to draft email to rover team.

          • Email sent. Waiting on them to respond.

        • They need to ask their advisor.

        • They asked if we have a logo for them to use.

        • Richard to send MagLab’s logo to rover team.

        • Follow up near mid-March.

      • One person from their team could be a member, and the rest “help” them work on their rover project.

  • Proposal to have a $60 3D printing class fee + general membership. Get a printer at the end of the class?

    • Not sure if we can do this.

    • Trying to get in touch with the principal of the school with the printers.

    • Farhan talking with the school first.

  • When a new person arrives at the space, ask them to sign the liability waiver (not the membership sign-up). Take the liability waiver from them, and stick it into the slot on the locked cabinet.

    • Richard got colored paper for the different types of forms.

  • MagLab business cards

    • Rosa created a few drafts. Need to finalize.

    • Color doesn’t cost more.

    • The one with the black bottom box.

      • “You have the project, we have the tools”

      • QR code

  • MagLab flag

    • Richard’s workplace is creating a demo center where MagLab can have a flag.

    • Richard to make the flag.

      • What file format?

Motion to end: Rosa C., Brandon L.

Meeting ended: 9:58 PM