1/30/2024 Meeting Minutes

Vice President of MAGLaboratory

Jan 31, 2024, 12:26:23 AMJan 31
to MAG Lab

2024-01-30 Meeting Minutes

Call to order: 8:48 PM by Kevin Y.

Attendees

  • Kevin Y.

  • Brandon L.

  • Michael J.

Past Events

  • Open Project Night (6:30 PM, Fri Jan 26th)

    • Quite a few people were here, including the CPP rover team.

Upcoming Events

  • Open Project Night (6:30 PM, Fri Feb 2nd)

    • Brandon L. is hosting..

  • Pizza and Conduit Bending Event (Sat Feb 3rd)

    • Come practice bending conduit for fun.

    • Hosted by Richard L.

    • Interest

      • Kevin Y.

      • Rosa C.

      • Michael J.

    • Richard to get Rosa Cho an event description.

    • Kevin Y. to try and generate conduit spaghetti art.

  • Touching Grass Pt. 3. (8:00 AM, Sun Feb 4th)

    • https://trails.lacounty.gov/Trail/14/antonovich-trail

    • Interest

      • Kevin Y.

      • Richard L.

      • Brandon L.

      • Rosa?

    • Do your friends keep "highly recommending" that you go touch grass because you are too unhinged?
      Does your psychologist recommend hiking to stave off depression?
      Do you wake up every morning and stare into the void to try to find purpose with your useless existence?
      Then come hike with MAG Laboratory.

    • It may rain. Bring an umbrella.

  • Welding class part 2?

    • David still picking out a time. Probably August  October. Not until next year

    • After the 4th of December? - David

      • David is back. Class before he’s gone?

      • BYOWelder?

      • TBD

    • David to have a date by Feb 6th.

  • A “How to basically use the mill or lathe” class?

    • Trent is busy… after Bantam Mill is done… after Wasteland Weekend… after readjustment to non-party life.

    • Richard available for super duper basically how to use the mill or lathe.

    • Please express interest to Richard or Trent on Discord.

      • Richard available for impromptu classes.

    • Make something as simple as a coin?

    • Complex as a d20?

    • Customizable totem (like from Inception)

    • BYO3Dmodel beforehand.

    • “👍” - Trent.

    • Trent almost done putting together. Time and date TBD.

  • How to use the new CNC mill class?

    • We can advertise that we have a “user friendly” CNC…

    • Please express interest to Richard or Trent on Discord.

    • Bantam mill needs tooling caddy

    • Bantam mill has a home

    • Would like 2 weeks or a month of notice to advertise.

    • Combine with the mill or lathe class?

  • Ovitt Family Community Library Maker Event (June 2024)

    • A change to show what makerspaces/MagLab is about.

    • Interested

      • Brandon L.

      • Kevin Y.

      • Richard

    • What are booth size, event specifics?

      • When? Where? What is it about?

      • Target age group.

      • Can we get lots of table space and power?

      • If it’s just handing out flyers, probably not interested.

    • Probably some sort of activity?

      • 3D printing

        • Kind of slow.

        • 5 printers would be quite a show, staffing permitting.

      • Arduino robot/rover

        • Pre-canned commands/movements.

      • Bring the Bantam?

    • Needs more than 3 people.

    • Hong is in contact with someone at the library.

      • Still in pre-planning.

      • Jun 2024 on a Sat.

      • Targeting all ages.

      • Outdoor venue.

      • Electrical provided.

      • 2023-12-19: No further updates.

      • 2023-12-26: No further updates.

      • 2023-01-09: No further updates.

    • Shared booth with UMakers?

  • Kicad/PCB Milling/Flatcam Class

    • Proposed by Brandon

    • Single-layer copper with holes.

    • Date TBD

    • Dry-run on Friday.

Section Lead Updates

  • Brandon L. (CTO)

    • The members-only section of the website is still broken.

    • The AC power meter is still under development.

  • Michael J. (QM)

    • Threw out some stuff.

Discussion Items

  • Lincoln 140 machine

    • Still tabled.

    • “Gimme til Friday” - David.

      • Unclear which Friday.

  • Bylaw amendment for Code of Conduct.

    • Special meeting ended with quorum 12 met.

    • Passes 11 to 1.

    • Updated bylaws.

    • Special Meeting has its own minutes.

    • New bylaws are now active.

    • Still need to file with the state (usually done around tax time). Not time-critical.

    • Kevin to print out a physical signed copy and stuff it in the lockbox. (Done)

    • Kevin to give Jeff a list of people who voted for the “I voted” gift. (Jeff has the gifts. Richard to coordinate with Jeff for delivery)

  • Sponsorship packet. (On hold because Richard is busy)

    • Expect a final draft to send out by the meeting of 11/21.

    • Richard has a final draft.

    • Now to find where to send these too.

    • Richard to CC Rosa on company list and outgoing emails.

    • Companies in consideration:

      • Monoprice

      • Hackaday /  Supplyframe

      • Olympus Controls

      • Digikey?

      • Mcmaster Carr?

      • Send more suggestions…

    • Feedback is generally bad.

      • Cold calling is difficult.

        • Organizations with prior relationships are better.

        • Doesn’t have to be a big business.

          • Such a scrap materials from the woodworking neighbor?

      • Making event or class.

        • Combined fundraising/advertising.

        • Solicit sponsorships for an event/hackathon.

        • Donate materials or money.

        • Possibly a very big organized event.

    • Keep an eye out for events we can participate in.

      • Fundraising profit-sharing programs. (E.g. Krispy Kreme donuts or Pieology)

        • These tend to become us indirectly donating to ourselves.

    • Paid ads? - Michael

      • Talk to Rosa.

  • VoyageLA interview request.

    • Invite to a class? (mill/lathe/welding/laser/3D printer/etc.)

    • Rosa to respond back on 2023-12-20.

    • Received a questionnaire. They have several questions besides the questionnaire.

      • They want one good photo, plus 8 other photos.

        • Scour through past events.

      • Do a virtual meeting with Richard to fill out the questionnaire.

        • Rosa to send meeting invite.

        • Obtain permission from people in photos.

      • Thanks to Rosa for replying to the questionnaire.

    • 2024-01-23 No further updates.

  • Let’s think of a big event for the first half of 2024 that we can use as a fundraising event.

    • An event that we would market more.

      • Post to local newsletters, like Walnuts or Pomonas.

    • Ideas

      • Mini film festival

      • Demo something low key like how to turn PVC into armor

      • Something that ties into our role as a makespace.

      • “How to make a sign” event

        • Sponsor gets a unique sign made by MagLab.

        • In-kind gift for in-kind donation (e.g. art supplies, food)

          • Tax/legal implications for getting things in return?

      • Really lean into the robot events?

    • Purpose

      • Giving back to the community.

      • Practice for fundraising, sponsorship, and running events.

  • Lower cost “day use”/”guest use”

    • Not a full membership

      • no storage

      • no voting rights

      • no large dangerous tools.

        • 1 day is not enough to check for trust and competence.

    • What is the sweet spot?

      • $20/day?

      • For reference, bicycle kitchen is $8/hr.

      • Pose questions to guests and visitors to events and open project nights.

        • Other questions

          • What days?

          • What hours?

            • Nobody really shows up for David’s curator hours 1pm-5pm.

          • What tools?

    • Concerns

      • Is this in line with what we want community/culture wise.

      • Abuse of tools & materials.

      • Type of people this attracts.

        • Previous bad experiences with transient use.

        • Require vouching by existing member?

      • Space isn’t always open.

        • Dedicated hours? Need volunteers.

        • At open project night?

    • A way to get people in the door.

    • Will need a bylaws change.

      • Maybe not needed for experimental “fundraising days”.

    • Market Research

      • $20/day seems reasonable from the people we have asked.

  • Cal Poly Pomona Robotics Team sponsorship request

    • Invite to an open project night w/ Ben C. and/or Michael J.

    • Richard to respond to email.

    • Team dropped by on Jan 26th Open Project Night

      • Space seems generally useful to them. They have a shop, but not a mill or lathe.

      • One person from their team could be a member, and the rest “help” them work on their rover project.

Motion to end: Brandon L., Michael J.

Meeting ended: 9:02 PM