Question about the two branches

jmcki...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2021, 6:59:42 AM7/2/21
to magit
I read the manual about the two branches, and while it makes perfect sense,
it is really useful for my feature branch to point to the remote version of itself as the upstream branch. This lets me see if anyone else has pushed commits that I need, or if I have rebased, when I need to force-push.

Is there another way to have these features while still respecting the purpose of the remote branch versus the upstream branch?

Kyle Meyer

Jul 2, 2021, 7:07:50 PM7/2/21
to jmcki...@gmail.com, magit
jmcki...@gmail.com writes:

> I read the manual about the two branches,

Do you mean two remotes?
In the above description, you don't mention the second remote, the push
remote. Doesn't that cover what you're after? (For example, there's the
magit-insert-unpulled-from-pushremote section inserter that shows
commits that are in the push remote's branch but no your local one.)

jmcki...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2021, 6:55:22 AM7/3/21
to magit
Yes, you are correct, I meant ’the two remotes’.

When I look at the ’show refs’ page in magit, a local branch with a push remote does not have the same amount of information as a local branch with an upstream remote. Not only is it unclear which remote branch corresponds to the local branch, but for the upstream remote, magit displays the remote branch name, as well as commits to be pushed and commits to be pulled. With the push remote branch, it only shows the description of the last commit on that branch.