Heat Map based on average of another variable

Tristan Lane

Nov 22, 2021, 5:07:24 PM11/22/21
to Magic Maps Users
Dear all,

I wonder if you can help me...

I have lots of data in the following format:

Year
Days from x to y
Postcode
Lat
Long
Distance from x to y

I would like to do the following:
based on uk postcodes and split into countries (I have the appropriate map).
have a map colour coded by number in each region -> this I have done
have a map colour coded by mean days from x to y in each region -> this I am struggling to do

have a map combining both.

Any suggestions?

Tristan

Evan Miller

Nov 23, 2021, 8:59:50 AM11/23/21
to magicma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tristan,

Try selecting the "Days from x to y" variable and then selecting

Variable > Aggregate Into > region

This will sum up the days across all the points. Then you can use

Variable > Divide By > count

To compute a mean.

Does that meet your needs?

Evan

Tristan Lane

Nov 24, 2021, 11:45:22 AM11/24/21
to Magic Maps Users
Dear Evan,

That works well for individually input data points - many thanks!

Sadly I can't seem to get the following format to work.

Sorry for being so dim.

Best wishes,

Tristan

Screenshot 2021-11-24 at 16.44.19.png

Tristan Lane

Dec 4, 2021, 9:41:47 AM12/4/21
to Magic Maps Users
Hi Evan and all,

I have now almost got it to work - thank you for your help.

The problem I have now is that the averages for each region seem to be too good to be true.  The count doesn't seem to vary by year and so the averages are too good to be true...

I've tried deleting all the other regions from the map - does that help?

Best wishes,

Tristan