"MDI" applications

GeorgeR

Feb 13, 2012, 10:27:54 PM2/13/12
to magellan-friends
How would I go about doing something similar to the Prism stock
trading app, or outlook, which both present different information to
you in different panels, and don't lend themselves to be created
within a single Controller or ViewModel? I started looking at Prism
and Caliburn, but to honest, i'm so comfortable with the simplicity
and cleanliness of Magellan that I'd rather work out how to do it with
that. The problem is that Magellan seems to be geared towards page-at-
a-time apps, rather than composite ones, and the documentation
reflects that. Should I be starting with a ShellController that does
nothing but insert views into a window template (full of zones) or
what?

Steven Nagy

Feb 14, 2012, 7:48:17 PM2/14/12
to magellan...@googlegroups.com
Magellan obviously isn't a composite UI framework - Prism has this pretty well covered.
You can use Magellan and Prism together though.

A controller action returns a View, that view could be a whole page, or part of a page, perhaps inserted into a region.
There's no reason you can't still use actions like this, loading each of your composite page regions.
However I've not actually used it like this; from memory Paul had an example on his blog about configuring Prism with Magellan though.

At the end of the day the view models of the views in different regions need to communicate and that is brokered via an event aggregator or bus, rather than a controller action.

Steven Nagy
Readify | Senior Consultant | MVP Windows Azure
M: +61 404 044 513 | E: steve...@readify.net | B: azure.snagy.name