Lines

fnatichohn

Oct 20, 2011, 4:05:32 PM10/20/11
to madpattern
Can somebody tell me how I can get off these lines?
http://cl.ly/B9z7

Would be awesome!

Matt Handler

Oct 23, 2011, 4:43:30 PM10/23/11
to madpa...@googlegroups.com
in order to get rid of those lines you have a few options:

option 1: using "save for web", change the resolution to varying sizes until the lines disappear (i have had varied success with this). basically the lines appear because the location of the objects are not 100% exact (due to rounding errors). if you change the multiplier size (output resolution), you can sometimes chance upon a multiplier that has a low percent error, and the lines do not appear.

option 2: expand the entire object and merge adjacent items that are the same color and are touching eachother. i had to do this for a 6' print of one of my patterns one time, it took a long time, but the results were worth it to get that line to not be visible. basically, the way the templates work is that they create "repeat copies" of what you draw in the clipped layer, and place the copies in the right places. when you "expand appearance", you convert all the copies into usable shapes, which you can then manipulate like any other. note that, if you are doing it this way, and you are using opacity, you also have to "flatten transparency" in order to convert transparent dynamic colors into real opaque colors.

as an aside, i'd like to point out that this is basically an oversight on adobe's part. they claim to have a vector based program, yet it only allows rational numbers (with a max precision of 3 decimal places) for values. this causes a problem any time you have a shape whose sizes are irrational values (many triangles). maybe one day adobe will get their act together instead of just releasing stupid useless features.

-matt